• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Staurogyne or Glossostigma?

Sacha

I want to add a foreground carpeting plant to my tank.

I can't choose between Staurogyne Repens, Staurogyne Rubescens, or Glosso.

I have read that Staurogyne Rubescens is easier to grow than Repens?

Which is the easiest to grow out of all these plants? I have not been lucky with carpets in the past.

This is what my tank looks like at the moment:

mvqf.jpg

It needs to grow out a bit, but when it does, I was wondering if people could recommend what plant I could add that would fit nicely with the rest of the tank and not look out- of place?

Thanks.

I have found glosso light demanding carpet wise. :) your tank lighting looks sensible it may not grow how you would like, I've Had two attempts and it just reached for the sky. What about marselia hirsuitra < I've probably spelt that wrong:D

Hmm I prefer the look of a slightly broader, larger plant like Staurogyne.

Exposure on that photo was low- my tank lighting is actually pretty high. Lighting is 56 Watts before reflectors. I think that's about 1.7 WPG?

I see, I only suggested that as all you plant look easy to me. Especially the one at the back which is a good low tech. I notice you keep barbs too.:)

They are all easy.

From left to right:

Hygrophila Corymbosa Siamensis
Ludwigia Palustris
Hygrophila Polysperma
Java fern on wood
More Ludwigia at the back
More Hygrophila in the right corner

So really I have just chosen fast- growing stem plants, because in the past I have had trouble growing more demanding plants.

Now I want something a little more special.

Have you thought about a bit of hydrocotle sp Japan? Nice light green stays quite low, and fish and shrimp love it will grow low tech. Would look nice against what shaped leaves you have .

Hmm looks nice- good suggestion.

I tried Hydrocotyle in the past and got rid of it because a) It would not stay in the substrate and b) it threw out loads of aerial roots which look awful!

Ok. Thing is if you want a carpet you are going to have to work for it as you already know. A good manual pat once a week does the job you could always tie it to a stone or wood. What ferts do you use? Anything in the substrate? I've aways struggled with hair grass I'm still try 18 mths later :D did get it growing like mad on a window sill in sand emersed.:)

I've a Ljubljanaways

Is that meant to say "I've always"?

If so- LOL.

I know I will have to work hard, but I have everything I need. High light, high Co2, loads of flow, and loads of ferts (I dose EI daily). My substrate is nutritious. I have a layer of Tetraplant Complete, capped with a layer of Unipac Senegal sand.

The Tetraplant stuff might have lost its goodness by now though...

Is that meant to say "I've always"?

If so- LOL.

I know I will have to work hard, but I have everything I need. High light, high Co2, loads of flow, and loads of ferts (I dose EI daily). My substrate is nutritious. I have a layer of Tetraplant Complete, capped with a layer of Unipac Senegal sand.

The Tetraplant stuff might have lost its goodness by now though...
it's sound like your good to go and the tanks nice and mature. Yes sorry signal is poor here by the time I've submitted post realized my marshon phone has changed my English/ brumy:D people have already noticed before I can 're edit and 're submit

Why not give glosso a go? Ime glosso isn't light demanding, it's more c02 demanding. Stau doesn't carpet as well either.

I think I'm going to put the tropica book in the fire
ja5ebabe.jpg

Maybe it's an idiot's guide:D glossy does make a lush carpet I may have another go now;)

I think I'm going to put the tropica book in the fire
ja5ebabe.jpg

Maybe it's an idiot's guide:D glossy does make a lush carpet I may have another go now;)

This is why I put 'Ime', as you'll read dated stuff all over the net. There are plenty of people here who have grown it under lowish light. I grew a lovely tight carpet under two t8s, I just hammered it with c02.

And Sacha, It would take a while for it to actually carpet. It's actually a stem, but creeps as it bushes out. You'd need a fair few pots to achieve that look. Try the 1-2 grow stuff, as you get loads from one pot.

That's the hardest thing Ian.getting the co2 to stay low enough in the tank close to substrate enough to have effect I'm finding the korilina a big help. I agree on the dated stuff most of what I thought I knew has been thrown out of the window since Ed at aquajardin pointed me towards ukaps. I Will never know all which I'd like too, as I cannot absorb the interesting info like chemistry related posts. I'm just glad people like yourself put it into understandable terms for those who spent all there time looking out of the Window at school.:D

It is difficult to ensure that c02 actually gets to substrate level, and that's why I like atomisers as you can observe the c02 bubbles going along the substrate. A lot of these plants in the wild don't get 'highlight' when submerged. A lot stay in shaded areas, and in deeper water that we have them in.

Yep- that's definitely my problem- the flow low down, along the substrate. The spray bar manages ok I think- I guess I will never know until I try?

Back