• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

staurogyne repens

Guys

Quick question above staurogyne repens some of my stem are at the correct height as I am trying to tier or produce a slope with the growth - low at the front and semi high at the back (just to hide the stem on my crypt's) nipping the tip out should stop the upward growth, thus producing side stem - is this the best way to produce the slope that I am trying to aim for.

Cheers
Paul

Sounds like the approach I would go for.
You will need to trim the front more often than the back in the beginning. For more dense look, re-plant some/all of the off-cut stems inbetween.
When desired look of the entired group is achieved, I recomend you trim in such a way, that you trim the 1/3 of all stems, that are tallest in the group. After group has re-grown, you trim the 1/3 of stems, that are now the tallest. Group re-grow and you trim 1/3 of syems, now tallest. This way you can maintain a good-looking group of stems at all time.
It is not possible to set exact time on when to trim - this is dependent of how fast plants grow.

Thanks Mick

I have three rows of stems, some of the stems on the back row are reaching te desired height so I am nipping the tips, when the second row reaches the desired height I will nip those tips out and likewise on the front row. Once the side shoots of the three rows reach the same height as the individual rows will nip those tips out, hoping that it produces a tier carpet.

I post post some pictures during the progress.

Paul

Petsonally I would nip 1/3 from each row - this will be much less visual. If you nip the entire row, I think you will get what gardeners call a "janitor pruning" This is a total line of cut plants, looking miserable for relatively long time, before new growth appear.
By trimming 1/3 of stems in each row, the cut stems will be less visual. This ofcourse means you will have to nip the front row more often, the second less often and the back row even less often, to create the upwards slope of group.
You must nip the stems quite low (=not at desired end-hight) to allow for the new shoots to grow up. Otherwise you will create a "hedge" look - proberly not desired.

Last edited:
Mick

Please find attached pictures taken today - back two rows are very similar in height. Some of the stems front, middle and back rows are showing signs of side shoots. Are you saying that I should cut a third of the stems away on both rows (middle and back) and then do the same to the front row at a later date.

20171209_124731[2].jpg
20171209_125034[1].jpg

Last edited:
Personally I allways cut as low as possible - which is a "rubber-band" answer, I know.
What it means is, that I usually cut a given stem to the lowest healthy leaves. This will ensure new growth to appear from the sleeping nodes at base of leaves (provided the plant is healthy and environment is suitable, ofcourse). If lowest healthy leaves are sitting very high.......I suggest still cuttimg low on Staurogyne repens, since this plant is very, very good at producing new growth from even a bare stem (not all stem-plants are equally good at this). There are sleeping nodes waiting to grow, at all the points where leaves were formerly attached. These will wake up to growth, when the dominating top-shoot is removed (=goes for all stem-plants). No matter how tall the desired end-result of stem......allways cut low, and then let the new stemm grow into to size.
Your stems seem to still have leaves very low on stems, so I would defenitely cut low ( just above substrate actually)......this will ensure a much better overall look, since no visible cuts will catch the eye. It will also make the next cut (=cutting these side branches) much less visible. Remember to re-plant at least some of your off-cuts wothin the group of stems, to get a more dense group.

Ups - sorry, I forgot about your direct question........
Yes, cutting 1/3 of 2. and 3. row look like the right thing to do. I would not be afraid to include cutting 1/3 of front row too, while being at it :).

Yes, cutting 1/3 of 2. and 3. row look like the right thing to do. I would not be afraid to include cutting 1/3 of front row too, while being at it :).

Mick

Thanks for the reply - the cut would that be below or above a leaf node or does it not matter, example in the middle of a stem.

Paul

Mick
Going to cut semi hard at the weekend - rows 2 & 3 are to cut back just leaving 2 / 3 sets of leafs up from substrate and row 1, 2 sets of leafs up from the substrate I think it will stand it but your thoughts would be appreciated

Darrell
Thanks for your input too

Thanks
Paul

They'll regrow, I feel confident.
Do re-plant some, or all, of the off-cuts inbetween. Remove leaves that will be stuck underground when re-planted. These re-planted cuttings will grow new roots in few weeks.
IF some of the cut plants do not re-grow, the re-plants will fill in - and IF all the cut plants re-grow you will just have a more dense group.

Hi Mick

The pictures are a bit deceiving there is about 30 stems in there, I have no room to plant anymore, ever struggle to wipe teh glass. I bought four pot and I must of used at least 3 1/2 pots averaging 10 - 12 stem per pot and they are spaced out an 1" or 25mm between the stem. Iwill take a top veiw and post a picture.

paul

Back