• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Staurogyne sp

welshwizard

hello, i have a few Staurogyne sp plants in my tank & all of them have a almost black susbtance on the leaves, the new plants that come through are ok untill they reach a certain size then bam "black death", this does not affect other plants.
i have tried to scrape it off but its in the leaf not on it.
tank stats
180 ltr
1 x 45w juwel nature t5 tube & 1 x 45w arcadia j5 plant pro both with reflectors
standard 600lph juwel filter + tetra tech 1200 ext filter
ph = 7.2
kh = 8
gh = 10

does anyone else use this plant?
anybody had any problems?

i dont want to bin this plant as it really is a nice plant, once established grows really well
thanks in advance for any help.
ps = would a pic help?

Hiya, i've had this issue before and i think it's actually tiny holes in the leaves along with some sort of algae. I found that upping my dosing and doubling the amount of WCs fixed it, my was in an 11l nano so it was easy for me. I'll take a guess that your not using CO2? It doesn't effect the Staurogyne in my tanks with CO2.....

i am using co2, pressurised, set to 2 bpm & drop checker allways green.
dosing with 5ml easy carbo & 5ml tropica standard daily
was using tropica+ but algea was worse when using this, changing 50lts every week

When I first put Staurogyne into my tank most of the leaves became black - like green spot algae that I get on my anubias but black. Anyway, I found that by upping my co2 levels (as they were poor at the time due to a ran out FE), every thing's a lush green.

One thing I have found is that I tend to break the stems when vac'ing the plants so just be a bit careful. I'm trying to make a staurogyne bush at the minute after replanting it every two weeks. Hopefully, it'll fill in nice.

Back