• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

staurogyne - where to get it

Nick16

apart from the tropica stuff, is there any where else that sells it cheaply as im planning my 240l.. i have looked at plants alive and aquaspot. as i am a newbie i want it cheeply in case i mess it up.

well its not life or death if i get it. i may use some E.tenellus and some C.parva to go behind the glosso.

When are you going to be needing it?

I'm just bulking out a couple of areas in a tank but I am also experimenting with growing it emerged above my Oscar tank so I may have some available towards end of Jan.

that might be around the right time -ish. well i need to buy my externals and sort my lighting out but thats about it. and then find a good location in the house! pm me when/if you have some after xmas. thanks. let me know how it grows etc.

No problems, will do. Have noticed that even in a few days it doubled in size when grown emersed so have taken a few more cuttings to grow on and see what happens when submersed again.

But I'll contact you again in Jan and let you know.

cool, a quick Q, what is growing it emersed? is this when you basically cover just the substrate? can you do this with all plants or just ground hugging ones?

It's growing uncovered by water.

Currently I have several stems growing in a tray above my Oscar tank, the only feed they have is the return flow from one of the filters onto a betta breeding mat (bit like a fine filter wool), so only the roots are covered by water.
It was a bit of an experiment which seems to be working very well for the Staurogyne so far.

As for those that can or cannot, that's what I'm experimenting with - the blyxa just melted away but HC Cuba, Sagittaria Subulata, Glosso & Hygro all have new growth.

I need the Staurogyne just now so hence why I have upped my efforts with them, once I have what I need, I'll continue growing it in there to give away (it's not costing me anything - other than a bit of betta mat now and again !!).

Back