• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Steep slope substate (cheap)

Nigel95

If I want to create a very steep slope let's say 10 inch thick in the back corners. What would be the best option that is also cheap?

1. crushed lava rock (for filter) in a net bag on the bottom and on top of that a few inch aqua soil
2. baked clay chips / (that will mix over time with aqua soil).

Any other suggestions welcome.

I prefer the crushed lava rock but what do you guys think?

You can pretty much use anything that's inert with a reasonably coarse grain size, pea gravel will do for instance. I've also used coarse pool filter sand in the past packed inside filter media bags...

upload_2017-10-15_14-48-56.png

If I want to create a very steep slope let's say 10 inch thick in the back corners. What would be the best option that is also cheap?

1. crushed lava rock (for filter) in a net bag on the bottom and on top of that a few inch aqua soil
2. baked clay chips / (that will mix over time with aqua soil).

Any other suggestions welcome.

I prefer the crushed lava rock but what do you guys think?
Hey Nigel,

I've recently used crushed gravel (very small pieces) stuck into a women pantyhose. Seemed to work fine. I haven't flushed the tank yet... but certainly I've saved a lot of substrate.

Cheers
07063cf7000995c6ed6a96d8e20a2aa4.jpg
29da24015ddeba6eec5529f0ba10f284.jpg
e4fc5cd826372b7aae38af8b6a8dc0e3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Hey Nigel,

I've recently used crushed gravel (very small pieces) stuck into a women pantyhose. Seemed to work fine. I haven't flushed the tank yet... but certainly I've saved a lot of substrate.

Cheers
07063cf7000995c6ed6a96d8e20a2aa4.jpg
29da24015ddeba6eec5529f0ba10f284.jpg
e4fc5cd826372b7aae38af8b6a8dc0e3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks panty hose sounds good! Very cheap

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I like lava rock a lot, it is also rich in iron so it helps red plants (I’ve heard) I don’t know if it’s really accessible to the plants though. I have never thought of the pantyhose before. I would suggest lava rock in pantyhose’s (then if you pull plants they would combine with the soil) hope it helps. I have saved hundreds with using lava rock as a filler, love that stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back