• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Step-by-step planted tank video for PFK

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Next weekend my no.1 aquascaping partner, Dan Crawford, and I are setting up a planted tank for PFK's Website Editor/Developer, Matt Clarke.

Hopefully we'll be videoing the whole process for the PFK website.

Matt's wanted a nice planted tank for ages and when he saw what I did with Jeremy Gay's 120cm, he was very keen to accept my offer of setting one up for him.

I think we're using a brand new Juwel Rio 125, standard with its new T5 lighting, internal filter etc. I've had great results with my Juwel using just T8s and the supplied filter, so I see no reason why we can't work with this either.

It'll have pressurized CO2, Tropica substrate, Tropica ferts and Tropica plants.

I have an aquascape in mind - low maintenance due to Matt's workload.

Should be fun!

Tom said:
Sounds like another stunner in the making. Shame I'm up next weekend, I'm only there weekdays. :? I'd love to see it taking shape though. :D

Tom

Thanks, Tom.

We're setting it up in Matt's home, near Leeds.

Are you on work experience with PFK for a while? You'll have a great time with Jeremy and co. I'll see you next week anyway for a shop tour... ;)

George Farmer said:
I think we're using a brand new Juwel Rio 125, standard with its new T5 lighting, internal filter etc. I've had great results with my Juwel using just T8s and the supplied filter, so I see no reason why we can't work with this either.

It'll have pressurized CO2, Tropica substrate, Tropica ferts and Tropica plants.

I'm having pretty good results in mine too George! ;)
Are you going to up the circulation anyway or just see how it goes 'off-the-shelf' for now? And will Matt be sticking with just the foam in the filter?

Looking forward to seeing it.

George Farmer said:
Next weekend my no.1 aquascaping partner, Dan Crawford, and I are setting up a planted tank for PFK's Website Editor/Developer, Matt Clarke.

Hopefully we'll be videoing the whole process for the PFK website.

Woohoo fame at last LOL

I'm really looking forward to this. Meeting Matt should be cool, Jeremy and George are forever singing his praises as "the fountain of all knowlage" so god knows what he's gonna think of little old me :oops:

It's a tough life i have, aquascaping and getting smashed with one of your best mates, happy days - UKaps baby!

Ed Seeley said:
George Farmer said:

I'm having pretty good results in mine too George! ;)
Are you going to up the circulation anyway or just see how it goes 'off-the-shelf' for now? And will Matt be sticking with just the foam in the filter?

Looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks, Ed.

I'll be running it off-the-shelf with as few 'bells and whistles' as possible.

There's a good reason for this.

I think one of the biggest stumbling blocks the newcomer to the planted tank has is confusion over all the hardware (lighting, ferts, CO2, substrate etc.) and conflicting advice.

The aim of this set up is not show that good results can be acheived without 'over-complicating' matters and by using commonly available, off-the-shelf products.

Hopefully the 'general fishkeeper' may be inspired enough to try something similar out themselves. After all that's my main mission behind all this work, with UKAPS and PFK alike, to promote the UK planted tank hobby and embrace all levels of fish/plant keeper! :D

I will be watching to see what plants you use as I could do with some ideas for my tank, which also has Juwel standard lights, but no CO2.

Well, I'm back from Matt Clarke's now and I think it all went quite well.

I'm pleased with the aquascape, and more importantly, Matt seems very happy with it.

I think we got some fairly useful video footage, but I have to say I was pretty nervous in front of the camera.

Hopefully a video podcast of the set up will be online sometime later this week.

Here's a sneak preview shot of Matt's tank after set up. Matt's on the left, filming.

f_previewmattm_ceef816.jpg

Just been wathcing the video! Very long video ;) worth it though specially for beginners.
Should have seen this before I posted my comment on my tank on PFK! lol
Congrats George

Back