• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Steps into the unknown... Seb's first tank!

seb.seb

Seedling
Hi all,

I have been lurking around these forums reading for awhile but this my first post! Loads of great information here which I have been trying to absorb into my brains over the past few weeks.

I am pretty new to fishkeeping, set this tank up in November and have enjoyed blundering my way through since then. It is a 10 gallon Betta Lifespace(?) which I found second hand via the classifeds.

Currently -
Eheim Aquaball 60 Filter with diy co2 attached to the output
2x 8W T5 bulbs (no other information about these, the manufacturers literature is terrible, one is white one is blue!)
I dose with the recommended dose of Excel three times a week
Has a sand substrate with root tabs
30-40% water change every week

I have only gone for plants that recommended for low light (only 1.6 wpg atm) and everything seems to be fine.

My questions are....

Do I need co2 at all with the low levels of light? Again would dosing with ferts be worth it?

14456845.jpg

30348333.jpg

79836975.jpg

seb.seb said:
Hi all,

I have only gone for plants that recommended for low light (only 1.6 wpg atm) and everything seems to be fine.

My questions are....

Do I need co2 at all with the low levels of light? Again would dosing with ferts be worth it?

14456845.jpg

30348333.jpg

79836975.jpg

Looking good - like the contrast of the red stone against the sandy bottom, polysperma looks very good. As for your questions - injecting Co2 is always advantagous - keeps algae at bay and will help the plants as there is always a shortage of Co2 within the water column. Fertz is a must used to sustain good plant growth.

So if this tank was mine - keep the lights the same(as its working fine), add fertz and inject Co2 (not a yeast mix).

Keep up the good work.

Regards
paul.

Good start :) you just dosing Excel nothing else? Excel is just a source of carbon and does not contain nutrients you will also need to do nutrients in the form of Tropica Plant Nutrition +

Thanks guys,

Thanks for the kind comments. I will look into adding fertz and post the results!!

Back