• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sterilizing new plants.

jaycat

Hi everyone, :)

I'm new to your forum, not new to fish keeping, but new to fauna within the aquarium.
I have recently been given some plants by a kind member of another fish forum, and I need to sterilize them before they go into my tank. Not too keen on the idea of bleach, and I can't get hold of Potasium Permangonate (hope I spelt that correct!) chemist around my way don't sell it. I have sterizen, is that any good? Or what do you guys use? I'm not keen on having pest snails in my tank if I can help it. Would appreciate your advice please.

Many thanks, :)

Hi,
Ditto. Just wash them off in tap and feel for vermin with your fingers. Whatever chemical you use to sterlize also damages the plant.

Cheers,

Many thanks, do the eggs feel like jelly, kind of?

Please forgive the maybe obvious questions! :oops:

If you do want to bleach dip( as pointed out this can damage some plants) use a 5% solution of bleach, dip for a couple of mins, then have a bucket of water with 3x normal dose of de-clorinator, rinse in this for a few mins then into a normal bath of water, job done. I have done this way and PP, I find PP does less damgae to the plants, but either way, no snails or nasties survive

JOHNNY

HI,

I tried five different chemists in Ellesmere Port to find Potassium Permangamate and none of them had it. But at least two of them said they could get it for the next morning and that was at 4:30 in the afternoon. It was waiting for me at 9am the next morning. £1.75 for a tub of 150 grams.

Get them to order it for you its much better than using bleach or having snails in your tank!

See the journal on fallen wilderness to see pictures on how to use it.

Cheers

Steve

Back