• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Steve's 60cm - "Old stump on the hill"

Steve Smith

This is a tank I set up some weeks ago, and had a few problems with (mainly diatoms and GSA). I added CO2 on Friday, after aquiring a regulator from a forum member, and today I've given it a good prune and tidy up :) Still got some bad diatoms on some leaves, so please ignore that ;)

Specs:
Aqua One 60x30x45
2x24w T5 Luminaire - 1x Arcadia Plant Pro, 1x Sylvania tube - On for 6hrs.
Tetratec EX1200
CO2 on 24x7 at the moment (may try and get a solenoid) via nano diffuser and FE

I have Tropica Plant Substrate mounded in the middle/rear capped with Unipac Zambezi sand. I've then used TGM small graded gravel and some other mixed grade gravels which I had lying about, and some small stones from my garden. I've used the redmoor root I had in my little 27 litre shrimp tank, with the bolbitis, narrow fern and fissidens still attached, and added a second piece which I bought at TGM last year.

Planting:
Bolbitis Heudelotii
Microsorum Pterptus "Narrow"
Cryptocoryne Parva
Hydrocotyle Verticillata
Staurgyne sp.
Anubias "nana"
Anubias "bonzai"
Cyperus Helferi
Fissidens Fontanus
Vesicularia Dubyana "mini"
Taxiphyllum Alternans (I think!)

No fish/inverts yet. I plan to move my remaining cherries into here, along with the micro rasbora I have in 2 tanks (Boraras maculata and "mosquito" rasbora, Boraras urophthalmoides I think).

And to the photos!

Front:
June2009_Front01.jpg

Left side:
June2009_Side02.jpg

Right side:
June2009_Side01.jpg

Closeup of the front:
June2009_Close01.jpg

Edit: Given the scape a title, though I'm not 100% on it! :)

Re: Steve's untitled 60cm

Wo ho stevo! That's awesome pal!!!!

Very ADA, a White background and some good photography and I recon you have a high competition entry there, respect!

Dan Crawford said:
Wo ho stevo! That's awesome pal!!!!

Very ADA, a White background and some good photography and I recon you have a high competition entry there, respect!

Thanks mate! I used a black background as it was all I had available. Looks better than having a radiator behind it :lol: Also, it gets direct sunlight during the late afternoon/eve (hence the gsa), so the background is to combat that.

I've given the bolbitis a good hacking back after chatting about bolbitis at yours yesterday :) Theres a large rhizome hiding back left, which I snipped all the leaves off of, so that'll change the look again when it grows in! Might balance the scape a little better, hopefully!

LondonDragon said:
Looking great Steve, I like that "umbrella" type plant lol very natural whats its called? easy growing?
Keep us posted :)

Thanks Paulo! The umbrella looking plant is the Hydrocotyle. I've had a pot of it kicking about for ages. Finally using it! I've seen it in a few really nice scapes and I've always wanted to get a similar look :)

stuworrall said:
looks great steve, really love the detail at the front of the tank where the Staurgyne is :)

Thanks Stu. The Staurgyne was an after thought. Initially I had a large bunch of Bolbitis spewing out of that area, which I think was too overpowering.

Wow stevie,you have got this aquascaping down to a fine art,
Love it mate,
Regards john.

Thanks guys :) You're too kind John! We need to have a go at your opti mate! Would love to see what ideas you have!

I made a bit of a fo-par this eve. I decided to start moving my mosquito rasbora over from the tank I'm shutting down. I got 4 out of about 20, and a couple of cherry shrimp into this tank and realised that the CO2 was cranked right up! The poor little blighters were gasping within a minute and having difficulty swimming.

Anyhow, I fished them back out and popped them back into their old tank and they're fine. I left the cherries and started to airate the water, and tweaked the CO2 down a little. Just got a drop checker and glass bubble counter cleaned/bleached and into the tank, so I'll see where I stand tomorrow and maybe attempt to move them again after some CO2 adjustments :)

really natural looking , well done to pull off the "island" style so well. Red more wood is great stuff after it looses it's garish red colours.

Keep it up, Tom

Stevie double G!!!!

Nice work pal. I dont remember seeing that at yours mate....
Echoing the sentiments of those who have picked up on the detail in the for ground....very nice mate.
My advice regards the diatom algae....resolve the cause as always, but now cut so hard back to the point you might bleed, and let the new growth come through clean. Hydroctyle is fine for doing this, so dont worry to much about them.

Good work mate.

Very nice indeed, Steve. You're getting good at this aquascaping thing... :D

I echo Graeme's sentiments, particularly about pruning it right back to allow vibrant and healthy new growth. You can then tame it to fit your end goal.

STEVIE DOUBLE GEE is in the house.... :lol:

Back