• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Steve's 60cm - "Old stump on the hill"

I've added some Rotala Wallichii, Hemianthus Micrathemoides and Micranthemum Umbrossum on the left side. I wasn't going to add stems but I think these will work quite nicely.

The "special" plant which I haven't done anything with as yet is Bolbitis "Diformis". I've not got a better name for it, and can't find any information. All I know is that it's from Tropica, and will be in their catalogue next year apparently. I plant to add this to the right side.

Still fighting off some GDA, GSA, Cladophora and thread algae at the moment. The Cladophora is infesting my fissidens moss, specifically at the front of the tank. I'm wondering if, since hacking everything back, theres too much light. I've noticed my anubias leaves which are in direct light are heavily coated in GDA but those which are in shade seem more or less OK.

My Hydrocotyle is going nuts along the front. I might have to trim a load out and re-plant it further back, behind the Staurogyne, as it's height is a bit much.

Photos when I get my camera set up again in the next few days :)

SteveUK said:
<insert name of forgotton moss here>

Holger moss ;) (the scientific name is unfortunately unknown at present. I'd guess it is a vesicularia sp.)

Graeme Edwards said:
Waho, check that prune out, shake the bed pal. But good work mate.

A note though. For me after a hard trim like that. I would be reducing my photo period and knocking the ferts on the head for a while. When they start coming back through, then i would tease the trace mix in and build up as growth builds up also. Keep your Co2 high high HIGH though.

Good work mate.

I did warn you about your photo period Steve, lol

Its surprising how hydroctyl gets so tall, considering its description. Great plant though.

What are you doing with your ferts?

Cheers.

Yes mate :) I've reduced the photo period to 5 hours as of last weekend. I'm currently daily (week days) dosing EI at approx 1/4 tsp of N03 and 1/4 tsp K2P04, and also dosing approx 2ml of TPN trace. These are all approximate dosings. I'm also starting to dose EasyCarbo as of today. Probably go with 5ml a day. I'm running CO2 pretty high too - about 1.5bps. Drop checker is constantly light mucky green/yellow.

Any thoughts? I've bunged the Vecton V2 UV300 on as you suggested. It can't do any harm :lol:

SteveUK said:
Yes mate :) I've reduced the photo period to 5 hours as of last weekend. I'm currently daily (week days) dosing EI at approx 1/4 tsp of N03 and 1/4 tsp K2P04, and also dosing approx 2ml of TPN trace. These are all approximate dosings. I'm also starting to dose EasyCarbo as of today. Probably go with 5ml a day. I'm running CO2 pretty high too - about 1.5bps. Drop checker is constantly light mucky green/yellow.

Any thoughts? I've bunged the Vecton V2 UV300 on as you suggested. It can't do any harm :lol:

Whats the train of thoughts on UV? Somebody was trying to convince me it was the way to go using a very small pump so that the water got maximum exposure to the uv?

Does this work?

I'm using the UV after chatting with Graeme last week. The thinking is that if I clean off any algae on the glass, any left floating about should hopefully get killed off by the UV. I'm not sure if this will definitely be the case, but I'm willing to give anything a go! I had a Vecton V2 300 in the cupboard so figured what the hell :)

A few pics from this eve. I've added a little more Cyperus Helferi as I had some kicking about :)

July2009_Front.jpg

July2009_Left_side.jpg

Wow... I need to get myself one of these CO2 thingymajigs - seriously! The growth on some of these tanks nowadays is amazing!

Very nice, It feels like it should have something in the corners though? It'll look amazing once super grown in.

SteveUK said:

Don't take this wrong. I really like the random-look that the plant placement has. It really looks like a stump that has many different species taking over it as time elapses. It is a very natural look.

It survived the chopping quite well. :D

Thanks guys :) Just wish I could get some better photos of it! I'll have to spend some time sorting out my camera gear and seeing what DIY lighting I can come up with :) Maybe use an old poster reversed for a white background, instead of a pillow case...

I keep meaning to sort you out a background, i'll get round t it one day LOL

Loving the tank mate, it's done really well since you chopped it!

Is the luminaire on half lighting on that shot?

Dan Crawford said:
Is the luminaire on half lighting on that shot?

Sadly no, it's 2x24w and I don't have control over the individual tubes. I'm actually trying to bounce another light off of the background (crappy 11w thing). With more time, I have some other T8 light units I could rig up over the tank, as well as T5 stuff. Hell, I might even have that friggin Metal Halide unit if the guy from ebay ever gets back in touch *mumble* :rolleyes:

Well, the halide light turned up. Ordered a replacement lamp/bulb from Lampspecs last night, so fingers crossed for it arriving soon! Just so there's no confusion, I'm not using this MH light over this tank! I don't have the skill and ability of Saintly so it'd turn into an algae nightmare! I'm just hoping that I can use it to light it better for photos :)

Anyhow, I'm waffling when I actually want to say "omg!" :woot:

I was looking last night and it appears the glass is really starting to clear of GSA/GDA! Still got cladophora in my fissendens though :( I remove as much as I can, and it's back within a day or two. I need to start daily water changes I think. I've been trying to do it regularly but I'm getting about 1 or 2 a week in at the moment. My ideal would be to wake up at 6.30am and do a quick water change, before dosing. I normally dose all my tanks at about 7.30/8am as part of my morning routine. Problem is, the few times I've done this, a "quick" water change turns into a bit of a 40minute session :lol:

Anyhow, waffling on again! I'm considering changing over to glass inlet/outlet but the flow from the spraybar works really well I feel. I might just do it for photos :shh: ;)

Hi Steve, I love the Hydrocotyle. It looks like those tiny mushrooms that seem to defy gravity by standing up on incredibly slender stalks. It really does make this look like an old overgrown tree stump. Does it stay airy and loose-knit like that, or does it clump up? I like the idea of having a tall foreground plant you can see though to denser, lower midground planting. Lovely tank, of course.

Hi Paul. I think the best way to get it into a clumpy foreground is to trim and replant it close together. Eventually the runners will all intertwine and form a carpet, but I don't think it will be that dense.

Ah, no, I see what's happened there. I LIKE the loose airiness of it - I was wondering if it stayed that way (good), or grew into a thick grouping (bad - for my purposes anyway). It sounds like it does grow fairly openly. Sorry for the confusion - my bad :thumbdown:

Back