• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Steve's 60cm - "Old stump on the hill"

Love it, Steve!

You've mastered a very naturalistic-style which works really well as a mound composition, perfectly reflecting the 'scape's title.

I knew the hacking back would work well.

This is just going to get better and better, and not too much pruning needed either - my kinda tank!

George Farmer said:
SteveUK said:
...with the narrow fern, can I be as agressive with the pruning? How about the Cyperus? Sharp scissors and trim the leaves (similar to vallis) or off at the base?
You can prune the fern back real hard. Right back to the rhizome if you dare!

Not so sure on the Cyperus as I've never actually grown it myself. I'm guessing it needs pruning at the base, due to the leaf structure.

Hi Steve,
ive always stripped my cyprus helferi at the base like an onion, loving the it mate,
regards john.

Thanks guys! Thanks for the info John, I have some issues with algae on the Cyperus, so I'm going to trim a lot of it back. I've noticed in the last week it's really grown! I have a couple of leaves which almost wrap from the back of the tank, over the top and almost down the front! Crazy stuff!

I'm a little unsure about the stems I've added. I'm going to have to trim them, but I think I'll leave them a little longer till trim number 1. I have some Didiplis Diandra which I was going to use in another tank, but it's growing so well sitting in rockwool in this tank that I may swap out one of the stems I planted recently for this :)

Still unsure how to progress with this Cladophora algae. I might try spot dosing with Easy Carbo. I've been dosing about 3ml of EC on week days which, combined with the UV I reckon has really nailed the green dust algae. Still some hair algae but not a massive amount. I'm really blasting the CO2 in though! About 2 1/2 BPS easily! The two shrimp in this tank seem to be coping OK though :thumbup:

I Steve,
I seem to remember Reading somewhere that c,helferi dosent like a high GH,mine grows well then the tpis seem to go brown quick with the rest of the leaf fine,I assume it's due to my high GH,
regards john.

Bit of an update, it's been a while!

I went on holiday for 3 1/2 weeks in September (awesome USA roadtrip!) Sadly, while away this tank somehow decided to almost empty itself! I was standing literally on the Hoover dam in Nevada talking my mum through how to re-fill the tank and what to turn off etc! The filter spraybar had shifted or something, and sprayed most of the water over my bedroom floor :( There was about 4 inches of water left, so the fish were fine thankfully.

Anyhow, when I got back from holiday, 2 weeks later, the light timer switch had gotten soaked, and stopped working. The lights had been on 24/7 since the incident. Needless to say the tank was choked by hair algae.

I've cleaned out a lot of it, and sorted the lighting but I'm not sure it will recover. I had planned to pull this down in the near future anyway, as I'll be moving house in January and will have less space for tanks. This one will be re-setup, but all of my other tanks (bar a few nanos) have to go! :( I've got to re-home a rio 180, a 90x50x45xcm, an 80x35x30cm and a 30cm cube!

Back