• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Steve's 60cm "The Science of Autumn" - New photos 21/04/11

Steve Smith

I think I've got the bug again! :lol: I had a 90cm crappy tank which has been a holding tank for some micro rasbora and some other fish since I moved house last year. It's been neglected and over run by hair algae etc. Pretty nasty to look at (as John can probably confirm!)

I wanted to get it sorted out. I'd been planning to set up a hi-tech setup with a 60cm tank. That never really happened, even though I managed to fix my 150w MH luminaire last year. Life got in the way and I took a break from the hobby for a while.

So, onwards :) The tank is an AquaOne horizon 60 I think. It's had some of the trim removed and looks quite nice, though I'm not a fan of the curved corners. I'm running an EX1200 via some CalAqua lily pipes and an external heater. Lighting is a Superfish 18w. We'll see how that copes.

Hardscape is some pre-used redmoor wood, dragon stone and Zambezi gravel (I really should start using something else!)

So far, it's planted with a few crypts, anubias nana (and possibly petite), bolbitis difformis, Java fern and a tiny amount of staurogyne. The planting is a little light at the moment, but I have more crypts to go in and I plan to fill the hole at the back with something like Hygrophila Difformis. The intention is to keep it quite low tech and low light, though I'm considering CO2 when I have another FE available.

Anyhow, a quick crap photo. This is late last night after spending an hour catching fish and shrimp with a Dennerle shrimp net! (No small feat I might add ;))

5611054697_c033feeda0_b.jpg

More work to do!

Re: Steve's 60cm low light scape.

Looking good mate.
Glad to see you have the bug again :)

Fauna:

Rasbora maculata
Boraras urophthalmoides
2x Corydoras hastatus
3x Caridina multidentata/japonica
2x Otocinclus affinis (I think)

I hope to get a few more Cory. hastatus as they like to be in groups of 6 or more. I've not actually done a head count, but I'd estimate I have about 6 or 7 of each rasbora.

Looking very nice. Great job and view from the bed. Wood is spectacular.

OK, that final pic nails it. Steve you are now officially banned from the nano scaping contest at mine on the 30th :lol:

A few photos. I've been playing with video tonight too. I only have my camera phone to play with but it's not horrific quality thankfully...

I've added more crypts and staurogyne and also a bit more moss (thanks John!) And a couple of photos.

Fish sniffing out a few shrimp pellets I'd put in moments before:

5620152907_58a6876db5_b.jpg

Assassin snail getting lost on the end of a branch:

5620153015_7cd4d43258_b.jpg

He'll be available to anyone that wants him soon.

Obligatory two tank shot :hilarious:

5620728354_f3f3517b29_b.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Re: Steve's 60cm "The Science of Autumn" - photos & video 14

very nice tanks steve, totally back on form :) Vids look great as does the dragon stone up close. I love all the colours that come out of it when it gets wet. Ill have to get something going with dragon stone again soon.

How are you finding the superfish lights as im looking for something for a mini-m at the moment but cant afford the ada lights :(

Both tanks are Beautiful layouts mate.

Soz about the hydro...John suffered to :( good old royal mail, along with crap packing :oops:

Both tanks are amazing Steve, love the use of Dragon Stone.

Back