• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Steve's Opti-white Nano - Ikita Kaseki

Hah :D No need :) I was translating and chuckling at the English-Japanese-English re-translation randomness :lol:

I wish I knew how to read/speak Japanese. I work at a large university and as a staff member I get learning credits. I might see if there are any Japanese courses I could take :)

Annnyway... back on topic :lol: Did my first water change this morning. I somehow feel I should of done one earlier than today, but that's better than my usual form :rolleyes: I'll plan to do water changes on perhaps Sunday/Monday and Thursday/Friday. It was quite good though. It took 15 minutes all in, with some faffing about.

I do my water changes on my little nano with a jug, don't know if that could speed it up for you at all. When I pour it back in I pour it in a glass ramekin so it doesn't disturb the soil.

Looking at the tank yesterday, it looks like the HC is growing, but seems quite slow. I'm contemplating trimming the long stems that I planted but they look a little scraggy towards the base. I'm going to give it another week I think, and see what happens :)

Will try to post a pic tonight!

Pics as of about an hour ago:

Fossil_Gumi_Day009_Front.jpg

Fossil_Gumi_Day009_Front2.jpg

The HC seems to be growing a little, but it's very slow. I've had some melt as well. I'm considering buying a pot of HC at TGM tomorrow to bulk this up. I think I'll trim all the long stems back and plant the new in larger clumps and see how I get on...

I've got to get on the water changes again. I've let it slip lately! Stupidly, it's not like it takes that long to do! I also have a clump of HM floating about in the tank at the moment waiting to go somewhere else!

More pics later I guess :)

Trimmed nearly all of the HC today and then cheated. Added two new pots of HC I bought at TGM on Saturday. The HC I had was just struggling so much!

I trimmed down the long stems, and only removed a small proportion of them. I then planted up the two new pots, cutting into small plugs still in the rockwool. After, I did some more maintenance (starting to get some diatoms on one side) and a good waterchange.

I've also added some Hemianthus Micranthemoides at the back right. I had some floating around that SamC very kindly sent me recently. I had plans for it but they didn't take off. I thought about it for a while and decided to plant it up. I also had a couple of random stems in with the HM. Not totally sure what they are, but could be something like L. arcuata. There are literally 2 stems, so I'll see how it does and trim/re-plant to thicken it up :)

I'll get some photos later when the lights are on :)

It's mostly new. It hadn't spread at all to be honest. Many of the stems had a fair bit of melted leaves, but also new leaves growing, just in the wrong places. I've trimmed most of them back, leaving what I could in place. The darker looking single stems you can make out in the photo are the old HC stems.

I can't help thinking I need more light. We'll see how the new HC gets on I guess :)

Thanks guys :) I finally managed to fix the Metal Halide I've posted about in the lighting section (corroded bulb socket needed replacing). It was a real ball ache to fix, so the first thing I did was suspend it over this little tank! :lol:

My favourite angle:
4501147844_fcea4df246_o.jpg

Halide suspended using a bike maintenance stand and a shower curtain rail (with shower curtain attached!)
4500511889_77d1e90609_o.jpg

I'm going to leave it on for an hour or so and see if any of the plants react to the stronger light.

Hi, like what you've done with this tank be great to see it in a month or so. I'll be interested to see how you get on with the HC under the superfish 18w. Im thinking my 2x11w arcpods arent really that good on my 30l.

Back