• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sticking co2 tubing into filter input

JoshP12

Hi all,

I’m trying to optimize my co2 here and I am tired of seeing some bubbles from my diffuser (places under intake and output through a spray bar) go to the surface.

What if I just stuck my co2 tubing into the grates of the input tube?I haven’t tried to fiddle with it yet, but has anyone tried this/thinks it would work?

My canister is already pulverizing those bubbles, albeit every now and then it “burps” some through the spray bar.

Any thoughts?

Josh

Depends on the filter, some people don't have any problems. I tried and my pump cavitates like a banchee and makes a horrible screaming noise. I have seen pin type impellers that might do a better job at breaking up the co2 but I've never tried.

It indeed depends on filter design, if the canister has the pump and outlet on top and canister inlet at the bottom, then gas will trap at the top making the pump catch these gas bubbles and burb. Or as Barbara says if the bubble gets too big the pump will lose head pressure and run dry in a bubble of gas. After running dry a while it will make that screaming noise.

There is one design that does it the other way around and can not do this, it has the cannister inlet at the top en the outlet and pump at the bottom.
all-aquarium-water-outside-filter-with.jpg_350x350.jpg

Simple phisycs, it still might trap some big gas bubbles at the cannisters top, but that will never get to the pump.

I am thinking about connecting this way to my simple internal filter. Basically using the air inlet venturi connection and blasting c02 directly into the body of water.
Im guessing that people already do this. Dennerle have something similar with their small internal filter.

Simon.

I am thinking about connecting this way to my simple internal filter. Basically using the air inlet venturi connection and blasting c02 directly into the body of water.
Im guessing that people already do this. Dennerle have something similar with their small internal filter.

Simon.
Worked for me when I used the Venturi feature on the internal Juwel bioflow filter. Just a bit noisy.

I originally injected into my filter inlet via a T in the pipework of a Fluval 407, worked without any issues. I only changed to a CO2 atomizer because every now and then I would hear the CO2 bubble flow into the filter. One day I might try and use a SERA reactor, but by all accounts inlet atomizers are currently the most problem-free.

Back