• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stock levels help needed

Mike Parnaby

Ok, so I as setting up a new tank, 115 litres. Will be heavily planted with co2 injection and an upgraded filter.
I want to keep possibly these fish. Galaxy rasboras, flag tetras, rosy tetras, and ember tetras, along with amano shrimps and nerite snails.
My question is how many of these little fish can I safely have? Is 10 of each too many? Advice very welcome, including possible alternatives.

Hi @Mike Parnaby That seems a bit high to me even for a heavily planted 115L tanks - you also want to make sure you have adequate swimming space. Perhaps if you omit the Rosy tetras (they get fairly large 4-5cm), and get like 8 Galaxies and 8 Flags its more reasonable - you dont want to go lower than 10 on the Embers; they stay small and they are more ballsy in larger groups. Opinions on stocking level varies quite a bit... I tend to be a bit conservative.

Cheers,
Michael

I learnt the hard way that it's always more enjoyable to add fish stock in stages, letting things settle, learning, and then making choices based on experience. I second what Michael J says. I'd get ore embers and introduce them early. They take time to build up confidence.

I agree that a larger group of a single species helps to bring out the best in them. The rosy tetra is easiest to omit due to their size but I quite like the other species you have chosen. Personally I'd have a main group and a secondary one. The embers and rasbora can be a little timid in some tanks and adding 15 or so can make them bolder (I'd go for one or the other). You could add a smaller group of the flag tetra to compliment them and bring them out more, say 8 or so.

Thanks guys. I think that I will go for a larger group of the CPDs, and add a small group of mid/upper level swimmers. Thinking maybe as simple as harlequins or even male endlers

Back