• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stocking Levels

Thanks @michael, I want some snails because I like the look of them so will start with just a couple and see how they go. I’d really like some native ramshorns but am worried about them taking over the tank as they will breed so nerites might be the safer option.

Nerites will leave little white eggs across your hard scape or they do in my sons tank just so you are aware
Some Nerite species are much more prolific in the egg decorating department
I’ve not seen any signs of egg deposits from Clithon corona (often sold in shops as small (horned) Nerite species, though they are usually identified as Clithon on commercial lists)

Thanks for the suggestions. Those blue ramshorns look great. I‘ve put a couple of black helmet snails in for now as I was placing an order for a gravel cleaner an the shop had some in stock. They are a bit uninspiring but seem to be busy cleaning which is the main reason for getting them at this stage. I think a couple of blues would be a great addition though.

Now I’m trying to source some tiger shrimp as I think they look great. Most places seem to be out of stock just now though so I guess a lot of other people also like their looks!

For whatever reason there seems to be much less availability of tiger shrimp on commercial fish farm lists - some companies seem to always have them listed while other companies never have them listed
(though many farms will source special requests if customer meets a minimum order)

I believe Garnelenhaus will ship but depending on your location the shipping can be more/less direct
https://www.garnelenhaus.com/invertebrates/shrimp/
(no idea how prices compare or shipping costs)

Look for local shrimp breeders/clubs
Ask if local shops are able to bring some in for you

Meanwhile add some cherry shrimp you like, they will tidy up melting plant material and biofilm and some algae’s
Feed sparingly - I don’t feed at all the first few days as I don’t like to trigger a moult in newly added shrimp (they are very sensitive during the 24-36h post moult so avoid water changes etc)
Once shrimp are established I don’t worry about moults and water changes
If your water is very soft, shrimp will need added GH to moult successfully longterm (lots of proprietary shrimp salt blends are available, also foods for various stages etc etc)

Thanks again alto. I’ve found someone on eBay selling some. He seems to have quite an operation going and has been mentioned on a few forums so hopefully the shrimp will be in good health.

Meanwhile add some cherry shrimp you like, they will tidy up melting plant material and biofilm and some algae’s
Feed sparingly - I don’t feed at all the first few days as I don’t like to trigger a moult in newly added shrimp (they are very sensitive during the 24-36h post moult so avoid water changes etc)
Once shrimp are established I don’t worry about moults and water changes
If your water is very soft, shrimp will need added GH to moult successfully longterm (lots of proprietary shrimp salt blends are available, also foods for various stages etc etc)

I have a load of melt going on so they probably won’t need feeding for weeks :( . The water company list my water as about 1GH. I have put a handful of fine oyster grit in the filter to try and increase the calcium in the water. Would I still need to add anything else?

Back