• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

stocking opinions and other options?

plantnoobdude

hi, the tank is 45l (50x30x30cm). softwater (0kh)
and very heavily planted.
and I have the following stocking atm
Ember Tetra : 8
Amano shrimp;6
Otocinclus: 3
crs: 13

ever since my dwarf gourami passed away my ember tetra have been awfully shy and i haven't been seeing them much. I plan on adding another or a group of outgoing fish that will help make the ember tetra feel more secure. my first thought was a trio of honey gourami. but i read issues about them being territorial? (is this something i can avoid by getting all female?).
I want your guys' thoughts on 1 the stocking ie. activity levels and tank size, 2. territorial issues and three alternative fish that i could stock the tank with.

Not kept Honey Gourami but would recommend a good group of dwarf / chilli Rasboras. They will certainly bring activity.

They're also so small as to make a minimal extra demands on filtration so you can have a bigger group. They do shoal/school too which looks ace when they all just appear out of a plant.

Otos will be better off in a group of 6 or more
I always heard that as well... I started out with 6 in one tank - I never saw them swimming near each other. Later I split them then up and put 3 in my 2nd tank.... (both 150L tanks)... I still never see them together - except for when they munch on the algae wafers alongside the shrimps.

I would experiment with conditions first, if you search this site for embers you'll see a few posts on making them bolder. Current seems to help. I've 10 ish in a 180l and they are the only mid water fish and still out front.

I would experiment with conditions first, if you search this site for embers you'll see a few posts on making them bolder. Current seems to help. I've 10 ish in a 180l and they are the only mid water fish and still out front.

True. My Embers are very bold and always in the front...Embers softens up a lot if they are with less shy tetras (mine are with black neons and cardinals)...

Last edited:
Back