• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stone ID

Daruma87

Seedling
Hey all,

I purchased some stones from my LFS but am having a tough time identifying them. It was labeled as ADA-rocks and the shopkeeper couldn't remember the name as they forgot to note them down (a very long time ago). The only thing they could assure me is that the rocks will not affect the PH level.

I have given it a good rinse and they are sitting in a tub of water with Hydrogen Peroxide. It looked very dark underwater with brown/rust/red hue and my best guess at the moment from Google search is that it’s either Yamaya or Manten (which the shopkeeper disagree with)
Does anyone have any idea?

Attachments

• 1 (3).jpeg
    1 (3).jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 204
  • 1 (4).jpeg
    1 (4).jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 166
  • 1 (2).jpeg
    1 (2).jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 1 (1).jpeg
    1 (1).jpeg
    85.3 KB · Views: 179
You may have a problem with accurate id off the photographs . Take a look a ryo watanabe YT channel hes based in Japan visits Japans aquatic stores and often studys ADA rock and hardscape

Like @PARAGUAY said really difficult to tell. But it appears that you have more than one type. The red rock looks calcareous, possibly a limestone, a bit like seiryu. Which will affect water chemistry, but it's nothing to worry about. Place a small piece in vinegar or pour some dilute hydrochloric acid on it. If it fizzes it's limestone.

It looks like there are also some similar but greyer pieces that appear more slate or shale like, and one small grey and white stone that looks a bit like some sort of granite.

BTW welcome to UKAPS :)

Back