• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stone identification and brittleness issue.

Zak Rafik

Hi all,:)
I got this large stone for my planted tank some time back. It weighs nearly 5 to 6 kilos.
Although it had lots character and colour, I was not so sure if it was an inert stone and if it won't affect water ph vales or any parameters.
The sales person from the LFS assured me it was inert but I doubt it

The area of the stone in the photos below which are marked in green tend to be brittle, especially around the edges.
Edges tend to break off quite easily with the least effort. The smaller stones do not have such problem.

Can any member identify this stone?

Cheers.

stone%20trouble1_zpserreworf.jpg
stone%20trouble_zpsesykrwpp.jpg

Looks like a type of Shale.
Have you tried putting vinegar on it ?.
You could also try it in a bucket of water,for a while,and see if the PH changes.

Looks like a type of Shale.
Have you tried putting vinegar on it ?.
You could also try it in a bucket of water,for a while,and see if the PH changes.
Hi Nelson
Yes, I did try with vinegar and there were no fizzing.
As for ph test, it didn't cross my mind.

This is what I found about shale stone in Wiki
"Shales are typically composed of variable amounts of clay minerals and quartz grains and the typical color is gray."
"Shales and mudrocks contain roughly 95 percent of the organic matter in all sedimentary rocks."

I think shale too. It looks like the stuff I dig out of my backyard. I've used it before, but never long term, so I don't really know how well it holds up versus, say, seiryu or something like that. The bucket test is a good idea. :)

Back