• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stopped Eating

Toadeh

All of my community fish (2 zebras, phantom tetras, neon tetras and glowlight) have stopped eating. Now, yesterday I noticed once of my phantoms decided to jump out of the tank but hit the lid and killed itself so I checked the water. The ammonia is up a fraction, would this cause them to stop eating?

Not sure about not eating, but they're clearly not happy. You should have no amonia reading so I'd suggest some water changes as a first.

Have you noticed if they are lethargic etc? Can you give more information about your setup, ie size of tank, fish stock, filtration etc? How much do you feed. What do you mean by up a fraction - do you have a PPM reading?

There swimming about fine. Yesterday I did a 50% change to get it down and not checked it today, it was about .25 I think (only slightly orange instead of yellow). I have been feeding them about once a day because I had a problem with nitrites so I cut it right back. Last Friday there were fine and if food went near the tank they swam straight up for it, now they don't.

Its a 60L tank with a fluval internal filter, got 2 zebras, 4 phantom tetras (was 5), 1 neon and 1 glowlight. Not many plants in this tank. Substrate is plain sand.

.25 is still too high in all honestly, what are your Nitrite levels at the moment?

If your ammonia and nitrite is over zero I suggest daily water changes until they are both zero. (this may take some time)

Did you do a fish less cycle out of interest?

Yep did a fishless. Its back to zero now so all is well.

Although I now have a sick fish which I need to finish off tonight :( the mrs is upset :(

Ammonia (and nitrite) readings are enough to stop a fish from eating.
I doubt you'd be too hungry if you were being poisoned! :eek:

Daily water changes and any squeezings of filter sponges from another tank would help if you have one.

Feeding more than once a day isn't needed anyhow. At the moment mine are getting fed once every other day to try and get the snail population down.

Back