• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

storing aged water outside.

krazypara3165

The Mrs has informed me that I can upgrade my tank next year (potentially upto a 6 footer!!!!) under two conditions......

A, I have to get an oak stand (easy enough)

B, I have to get rid of the 100l water barrel that sits in my living room to age water.....

My question is this....

Can I store my aged water outside? and what would be the fastest way of heating it to 30 degrees?
as it would be outside I think it would be a bit pointless leaving aquarium heaters on to heat it 24/7 as it will waste electricity. ideally it would be great to have something that could heat it an hour in advance if that makes sense?

My misses is the same about storing water in the house the way im getting around this is im build an oak cupboard around it to match the reat of the furniture :) keeps the water safe from freezing, cheaper to heat and can become another piece of furniture :)

Maybe just heat the stored water a day before you need it for change's?
Might look to apparatus that keep's out door water bowl's for pet's/livestock ,from freezing.
Small pump, and length of hose could transport the water from storage bin to tub,bucket,or inside.

building a cubbord is the plan at the moment however there would be no space for a larger tank :p

im thinking of getting a 200l water butt and fitting it with an immersion heater linked to a thermostat cut off and adding a pump so I could go outside 20 mins earlier turn on the heater and then transfer it all over. however that may be beyond my technical capabilities lol

My mate used to keep a butt of RO water outside when he had a marine tank. Not a good idea as freezing of the both inlets and outlets happened despite having a heater installed. Despite insulating the pipes in and out the butt they froze often enough to be a pain. Basically he emptied his tank and couldn't refill as water won't flow from butt. In the end moved the butt into the his shed next to the house where rest of marine filter stuff was kept and freezing was not an issue.

Back