storing reasy used AQUA SOIL

Discussion in 'Substrates' started by Mark Evans, 28 Sep 2008.

1. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

ok after speaking with dave spencer yesterday at the green machine ive decided to re use the as that i have. its only a few months old as is perfectly good. my question is after emptying the tank of water fish and plants im going to have a "dry tank" so to speak. while i rescape. will the damp AS fester? how long would i have before things start to get smelly? bare in mind i want to arrange the stones over a period of 2 weeks or so, so i can analyse

2. zig

zig Member

IME it takes about two weeks for Aquasoil to dry out fully once a tank has been emptied of water, never experienced "smelly" :D

3. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

so it will dry then? cool. ive just saved (dave spencer saved me ;) ) a fortune then. there 6 bags of the stuff in the tank at the mo. with another 2 to go in.

thanks zig

4. zig

zig Member

It will definitely dry out, it might take a bit longer though with a large amount. I'm basing the 2 weeks drying period on drying 2x9l bags in a 100l tank, I have done it several times at this stage in the same tank, normally 2 weeks is about right for my tank.

5. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Member

Mine took an eternity to dry out. I just kept turning it over as the top layer dried. There wasn`t any festering, just that nice, earthy smell Amazonia gives.

Dave.