• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Storm Lamp

parkess

Seedling
Hi folks,

Just thought I'd post a pic of my latest creation.

The idea was to create a very simple, modern looking nano setup for the kitchen. Here's the result, one week after filling:

img1680k.jpg

The 'tank' was supposed to be a storm/hurricane lamp i.e. large candle holder, but I seem to see anything made of glass as a potential tank these days :D The capacity is a huge 2 gallons with a total height of 16 inches and a diameter of 8 inches. I was a bit concerned that it wouldn't be strong enough but it's been fine..so far.
The substrate is Aquasoil powder and the hardscape is a cracking piece of Dark Iron Wood from TGM. The light is a converted desklamp with a 20W halogen bulb and this can go up to 35w if needed. Planting at the moment is simply HC and I'm kinda thinking that it'll be enough, once it carpets, and it seems to be spreading already. I'm not sure if more plants might detract from the wood?
I'm using 0.6 ml of Easycarbo daily and once the AS has finished releasing it's nutrients, I'll add 0.2 ml of TPN+ every other day.
I'm thinking of eventually adding a small shoal of micro rasboras (maybe maculata?) and a few tiny shrimp.

And that's basically it...... no heater, no filtration just a 'jugfull' waterchange daily.

So, has anybody got any comments/suggestions?

cheers. Steve

That's cool. I like it just the way it is. You could maybe just play with your camera's white balance a little bit to reduce yellow hue.

Thanks Guys,

Sorry for the delay in responding but I haven't been around much this week.

Thanks for the instructions on the filter build Paul but at the moment I prefer the clean look of no pipes and to be honest a jug of water is not too much effort.

I've just started to notice a bit of a green patch forming near the top of the wood. I think it may be HA in the making?!
I 'll try giving it a blast with neat EasyCarbo when I lower the water line at tonights change.
I'm quiet suprised that I'm getting any algae at this stage though......

cheers
Steve

Back