• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Strange Bugs on Glass

Superman

I'm having an increase in the number of white bugs that hold onto the glass and then dart away when I put anything near them.
They are tiny and it's hard to get a photo of them with my camera but they look like...

Untitled-1.jpg

[Sorry I'm no artist!]

An example would be sperm like body but with whiskers.

Any ideas what they are and what I should do?

well, have a snoop around on google for micro bugs or something to see if you can find any pictures that look like yours. for them to be there, they must be feeding off something.... but whether they are good or bad i dont know.

Google to the rescue (again), they look like white versions of these things...

cyclops.jpg

With details from the link http://www.aquaticquotient.com/forum/sh ... hp?t=34333

Size: 0,1 - 0,2 cm, 0.04 - 0.1 inches

Copepods are small and funny looking one eyed crustaceans. They usually move around the tank glass and other surfaces, usually with one short leap at a time. Harmless, cute, there's lots of different coloured species. Females carry 2 egg pouches on their tail.

Control - Complete eradication is all but impossible. Proper aquarium maintenance and filtration will keep their numbers down enough to be unapparent. Providing a good current, even without filtration, will also keep the Cyclops in check.

Notes - Cyclops are generally harmless to all but the tiniest of fish fry. (Guppy and Cichlid fry need not worry.) In fact, Cyclops are an excellent "first food" for those young fish capable of catching them and consuming them.

As long as the tank is well maintained, Cyclops pose no danger.

Your Picasso-esque picture looks a little like Daphnia.
I got similar things in my smaller tank when there were just shrimp in there. I imagine similar critters are present in most tanks at one time or another, but they're simply predated very effectively by fish. Mine have gone(and also the shrimp!) since I turned the tank i to a hospital tank for one of my apistos..

Superman said:
Thanks guys, I don't have any fish in this tank as they're showing in the nano.
Hopefully the shrimp might get them.
In the future I might get some micro rasboras to go in there but not for a while.
I have plenty of these in my shrimp tank, they don't touch them, they are not a problem really, always had them in the tank.

I get something similar but they are only ever seen in the gravel - I often see my fish eat them and I reckon the pygmy cory must eat loads of them as they root around for food :) I think of them as a free and natural food source for the fish :)

Mine seem to be taking over the tank in a way, they're big enough to swim in the water column now rather than just holding onto the glass.
There's different shapes of the bugs too but are the same sort of critters that you can see on that page I referenced above.

I'm going to put a few of my CPDs in there tomorrow to see if they have a munch on them as their numbers are getting a bit crazy.

Did you have any luck in getting rid off the bugs? i have a similar problem, I tried useing panacur which worked for a short time but they returned after a week or so, I didnt want to up the doseing of the panacur just incase it harmed my shrimp.
So i am looking for something that may eat them and leave the shrimp alone. How did you get on with the CPDs?

Back