• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Strange growth on Anubias Petite

Diogo81

Hello to all,

I've started a planted tank one month ago, and all my plants seem to be thriving (including advanced plants like Rotala Wallichi). Only two anubias petite, one on wood and other one on a rock are growing new shoots, but the new leafs are not completly green, instead they have a lot of white spots (as shown in the picture).

Anubia.jpg

My fertilization routine is the ADA fertilization (5 ml of ADA Brigthy Mineral and 5 ml of ADA Brighty K every day). I do 50% WC every week, and here are all the results from testing my water:

NO3 - 0
NO2 - 0
GH - >7ºd
KG - 6ºd
PH - 7
CO2 mg/l - 20

Can anyone tell me what is the probable reason for this strange growth?

Thanks

Hi all,
I can't really tell from the photo, but it might be <"biogenic decalcification">. This is only likely to occur if you have hard (calcium rich) water.
My fertilization routine is the ADA fertilization (5 ml of ADA Brigthy Mineral and 5 ml of ADA Brighty K every day).
You will need to add <"more/different/better fertilisers"> fairly soon.

It may be a nutrient deficiency. Plants need all 17 of the <"elements essential for plant growth">, just in amounts that vary by several orders of magnitude.

cheers Darrel

It's likely variegation caused by viral infection, probably not harmful and actually desired by many here in Australia where everyone is $$$ rare plant crazy due to import laws.

Thks for your replys,

its really strange, because it should be the easiest plant of all that I've in the aquarium, and has been the one with the strangest development... I'm more inclined for the viral infection than lack of nutrients, because even in the low energy set ups, anubias grow pretty well with a small amount of fertilization...

Other thing that seems strange is that even searching on google for anubia growth deficiency, there's no images showing the coloration that mine does...

tks

Back