• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Strange white things in tank.

RickB

Hi, I just set up a holding tank as I need to drain and move my main tank due to repair work, I used substrate, some water and a few plants from my main tank but now the holding tank has floating white things that are certainly alive as I have seen them making erratic movements.

The only thing in the tank are amano shrimp at present, my main tank has none of these white things.

They have a tiny head with a very tiny tail.

Attachments

• 20221115_161431.jpg
    20221115_161431.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 160
Were your amano shrimp berried by any chance? They look like amano shrimp larvae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think one may of been.

I just read to shine a light source at the top ofvthe water and they should try getting to the light if they are shrimp and indeed they did start floating towards my phone torch.

Maybe I never noticed in my main tank as the angelfish probably scoops them up.

Last edited:
I think one may of been.

I just read to shine a light source at the top ofvthe water and they should try getting to the light if they are shrimp and indeed they did start floating towards my phone torch.

Maybe I never noticed in my main tank as the angelfish probably scoops them up.

I'm no shrimp expert by any means. But if they are indeed amano larvae they'll die off soon as they need brackish water to survive.

I'm no shrimp expert by any means. But if they are indeed amano larvae they'll die off soon as they need brackish water to survive.

@richard brown I'm 99% sure these are amano larvae. I can bet vast majority of them have ended up in the filter etc and as @neofy705 mentioned they need to be moved within 3-5 days to at least 15ppm of salty water to survive. Females release approx 50-300 of them in one go (depending on their health and fertility, it could be of course even 500 and more or much less with very old or very young females) - but if you won't move them to at least brackish waters, they will simply die.
Like with many circles in the nature, they are good source of food not only for fish but also for plants (the latter by decomposition).

On the side note: I think you'll need to have at least 5x more plants in that tank to have relatively stable conditions (but I'm assuming it's only a temporary one).

Last edited:
@richard brown I'm 99% sure these are amano larvae. I can bet vast majority of them have ended up in the filter etc and as @neofy705 mentioned they need to be moved within 3-5 days to at least 15ppm of salty water to survive. Females release approx 50-300 of them in one go (depending on their health and fertility, it could be of course even 500 and more or much less with very old or very young females) - but if you won't move them to at least brackish waters, they will simply die.
Like with many circles in the nature, they are good source of food not only for fish but also for plants (the latter by decomposition).

On the side note: I think you'll need to have at least 5x more plants in that tank to have relatively stable conditions (but I'm assuming it's only a temporary one).

Yes it will be temporary, I have 2 weeks to get it ready before work starts, currently juggling water from main tank to this tank during WC, then after the work I will have to set the main tank up again.

Back