• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

strictly liquid carbon? pics?

From this

tlLp2Dr.jpg

To this in about 4 weeks

4p2mfi9.jpg

New tank started 6 weeks ago plants added 4 weeks ago except for H.Polysperma which was planted from the start , very little algae , dosing 1/10 ei salts from sponsor and 1ml per 50 litre liquid carbon.

New tank started 6 weeks ago plants added 4 weeks ago except for H.Polysperma which was planted from the start , very little algae , dosing 1/10 ei salts from sponsor and 1ml per 50 litre liquid carbon.
Is that cat litter or is it a branded substrate?

Is anyone using liquid carbon alone? Ferts and all still but without pressurised Co2. Hows it going for you? Anyone got pics?

This is liquid CO2 and full EI.
It's sort of ok. Some species are doing better than others. Some throw up a load of new leaves only for them to yellow off. I have some algae so am cutting down on the light period.
I now have a FE tank so will see how things go in there.

9512402120_ddcc4882c5_c.jpg
IMG_5175 by threequartersky, on Flickr

Miranda how well do you find your mosses and Riccia cope with liquid carbon? I'm hesitant to try liquid carbon out as I fear it may cause some damage to them.
I don't find it causes any problems at all Michael and there are most varieties in there, but I am only dosing at the recommended level.
The moss growth isn't as fast as in my CO2 injected tank but I think it is actually better as it is naturally attaching itself to the wood.
The light is fairly bright on there but it is diffused quite a bit by the floating plants.

Thats good to hear, I'm just planning on rescaping my shrimp tank and I plan to use some sort of CO2. Unfortunately my parents don't like the idea of using FEs and since I plan on focusing on my nano tanks more I think I could get away with liquid CO2 and DIY.

In my,albeit somewhat limited, experience you'd be fine with that :)
I don't have a proper substrate for plants,just 1mm black gravel so with a proper substrate you could get even better growth with other plants.
Another plus with this kind of setup is I get virtually no algae at all :thumbup: I have an onion nerite snail in there and he copes with anything that may appear.
I haven't cleaned the glass in that tank for months.

I don't think I'll be using a nutrient enriched substrate, it will likely be sand or cat litter. The only reason I would choose sand is that cat litter in my opinion is painful to plant in as it can be very light where as the sand would be compact. Other than that I'll go with cat litter any day.

Back