• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Study on adaptability of wild caught fish

I’m not sure if people have found this study before, but I came across it one day and thought I would share it.

The greatest concern of fish keepers is wether they are providing the optimal conditions for their animals. The factor that most often concerns them is water chemistry, specifically hardness and pH. Unfortunately changing these factors can be impractical and quite costly, though not excessively so. Many of the the threads in this area of the forum are about this question and I think this study could be helpful in answering them.

Here is the link: https://www.researchgate.net/public...eirodon_axelrodi_an_amazonian_ornamental_fish

And here is the data:
01663AEF-C0F5-4070-9CE7-2916AB28721A.png

If you were to read the link you’d see that this experiment was done on Cardinal Tetras caught in the Rio Negro. The way the pH was adjusted was by adding HCl to create acidic conditions and NaOH to create alkaline conditions, but I’m not sure how closely this replicates the water hardness of our tap water with numerous different metal ionic compounds causing alkaline conditions. In addition to this, as I don’t have any experience with judging scientific research, so it would be great if I could get some comments from those of you who can.

Although this study was only done on Cardinal Tetras, it seems likely that many of the species from black water environments would fair similarly.

Thanks in advance,

Hi all,
The way the pH was adjusted was by adding HCl to create acidic conditions and NaOH to create alkaline conditions, but I’m not sure how closely this replicates the water hardness of our tap water with numerous different metal ionic compounds causing alkaline conditions. In addition to this, as I don’t have any experience with judging scientific research, so it would be great if I could get some comments from those of you who can.
I'm not an animal scientist, but I think you are right that the study is flawed, and the addition of <"strong acids and bases"> doesn't replicate <"the natural situation in the Rio Negro catchment in any way, shape or form">. Any experiment would need to use water with added dissolved humic substances, they look to play a vital role in fish survival in "black-water".

If you have a look on Google Scholar for post 2016 papers, using <"Paracheirodon axelrodi humic substances"> as your search term, there would be quite a few papers that use more <"realistic models">.

Have a look at <"What TDS..."> for some further discussion and references.

cheers Darrel

Back