• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stu's 90x45x45 Apalala Shore - IAPLC 2012 #114 - AGA 2012 #3

Stu Worrall

Global Moderator
UKAPS Team
Following on from this last scape which to be honest got too grown in.

Final photo for IAPLC 2011 - #577 - The Unknown Valley

5986063180_050e861503_o.jpg
The Unknown Valley Stu Worrall - 90x45x45c IAPLC 2011 - #577 by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

Ive now stripped the tank down and started on a new design.

this time its Dragon Stone and Manzi :)

Specs

Hardscape: Dragon Stone
Co2: Pressurised via diffuser
Lighting: ADA Solar 1 - 150w NA Green
Filtration: Tetratec EX1200
Heating: Hydor 300W External heater
Substrate: ADA Nile Sand, ADA Power Sand with ADA Amazonia, Pummice bags to heighten the back cheaply!
Ferts per day: EI 90ml
Critters: Red Cherry Shrimp, Cherry Barbs, Rasbora
plants to include - Java Narrow Ferns, tennelus, hairgrass (both types, fissidens, mosses
, HC, Crypts, Anubias, Bolbitus, Hydrocoytl SP Japan, stems at the back

Here are some pics from the setup which is still ongoing, feel free to tell me if there's something you don't like. Bare in mind the back will be filled with stems to get extra height and there are a few more stones and bits of wood to go in yet.

6680369757_ff225a569e_o.jpg
90x45x45cm Planted Tank by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

6680370137_e784533b50_o.jpg

6680370345_5073b2d2f8_o.jpg

6680370563_13505f1ce4_o.jpg

Re: Stu's 90x45x45 Dragon Stone Scape

Looks great without plants!!

Wow! That wood looks great with the rocks Stu, very natural looking indeed - if I were to be looking through an underwater window in the river that would be what I'd expect to see.

What a fab piece of wood, and beautifully incorporated into the whole 'scape. Where do you get the bags of pumice stone from? Or is it something you put together yourself?

Looks awesome! loads of depth even without any plants.

Arana said:
Loving the hardscape :thumbup: :clap:
mitchelllawson said:
Looks great without plants!!
skeletonw00t said:
Looks awesome! loads of depth even without any plants.

sarahtermite said:
What a fab piece of wood, and beautifully incorporated into the whole 'scape. Where do you get the bags of pumice stone from? Or is it something you put together yourself?
Thanks sarah. The pumice is from here - http://www.greendragonbonsai.co.uk/BONSAI_SOIL_AT_GREEN_DRAGON_BONSAI.htm and the bags are my wifes old cut up tights (shhhh, don't tell her!)

George Farmer said:
Great hardscape mate.

Unique without being unnatural-looking; a tough combination to achieve.
Cheers George :thumbup: Trying to get the layer direction in proper order but also putting in height and direction changes is most difficult!
Gary Nelson said:
Wow! That wood looks great with the rocks Stu, very natural looking indeed - if I were to be looking through an underwater window in the river that would be what I'd expect to see.
Cheers Gary. off to finish it off now before planting tomorrow :)

viktorlantos said:
Very nice start Stu. This will be cool for sure. The wood works perfectly with the stones.
Thanks Viktor. I think some of the pieces of manzi and dragon were made to fit together!

the wood, specifically the horizontal straight section on the left - will you leave it exposed, free floating over the hardscape?

Arana said:
:lol: I have two pairs, a small and a large :D Very useful for taking the square ends off driftwood for your tank to make it look more natural.

darren636 said:
the wood, specifically the horizontal straight section on the left - will you leave it exposed, free floating over the hardscape?
Its a little deeper now as there is more AS but it is designed to have anubias tied on and it will have crypts and hairgrass planted around it.

LondonDragon said:
Looking great Stu, always good to have a new start, looking forward to the planting ;)
Cheers Paulo, I've got 3 types of stems for the background so something new for me to try.

I added some more rock and wood lat night. not sure if I've overdone it so opinions please as I'm not sure on the big piece of wood on the far right which goes over the valley then lifts back up to point upwards in the right of the tank?

anyway, some more hardscape pics. Ive also started with wrapping moss onto flat slate last night :)

6683967707_b575f745b0_o.jpg
90x45x45 Aquascape design by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

View from an angle

6683967493_0090cea894_o.jpg

view from the side to show the depth. Plenty of room at the back to put ferns then stems.

6683967267_5615bfe15e_o.jpg

closeup

6683967059_7c01f62ff8_o.jpg

arty farty one

6683966813_a7cd28e50f_o.jpg

new wood and rock on the top left

6683966623_94d583b46b_o.jpg

Through the valley

6683966401_c7c0ab0c9f_o.jpg

Thanks sarah. The pumice is from here - http://www.greendragonbonsai.co.uk/BONSAI_SOIL_AT_GREEN_DRAGON_BONSAI.htm and the bags are my wifes old cut up tights (shhhh, don't tell her!)

My lips are sealed - after all, the tights were sacrificed for a good cause :lol:

I think I preferred the arch before you added the extra wood in - it had such lovely clean lines. But it's your tank, and you're the one who's going to be looking at it most, so feel free to ignore me! Still looks fab. :D

Sorry Stu, you've lost it mate, that's horrible!

Ha ha, only joking my old bean, absolutely fantastic, original and very natural looking. The nest i've seen in a long time!

many points of interest in this hardscape, looking impressive, with or without planting. cannot possibly fail .

Just love it. Great use of Dragon which is the hardest rock to use I find.
Looks better with extra wood in my opinion.
One thing if you dont mind me saying. I would prefer it with quite minimal planting. Might be very easy to overcrowd with ferns. I would go just for stems at the back and greasses/low plants in front. Keep that super unique hardscape visible as much as possible. :thumbup:

That last scape was one of my faves - the close ups of the valley in one of your journals always made me jealous!

But I'm loving this just as much already - those new views down the valley and through the wood are amazing - almost the land that time forgot!

Jealousy strikes again...

Back