• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stu's 90x45x45 Apalala Shore - IAPLC 2012 #114 - AGA 2012 #3

Re: Stu's 90x45x45 Dragon Stone Scape

Looks great Stu.

You really gotta watch your planting with this layout. Nice and simple I'd say :thumbup:

Stu, this is stunning ! I am really liking this scape. You have so much to draw the eye in and that arch really draws you through to the back. Its almost like peering through a window. I agree with Mark (well we all do mostly, lol) too many plants will detract from the impact that the hardscape has.

Stu's 90x45x45 Dragon Stone Scape

Last one much cleaner, but this has more potential to be original - and your last scape showed you can soften even a load of rock with judicious planting.

Can't wait to see this planted up - but agree maybe less is more on the variation of plant types.

That's a pretty steep bank at the back left - how are you shoring it up?

Nice clean photos too!

Looking awesome. You have just beaten me to posting a dragon stone + wood scape. I've got all the bits sitting in front of me and the redmoor soaked. If mine turns out 10% as nice as this ill be happy. :)

It looks so good even without plants!

Hi Stu, loving the original scape, I must say the addition of the tallest wood clawing over the original arch is very distracting to the natural flow of the scape in my opinion and it also blocks the beautiful detail of the dragon stone in the rear, it does seem without it there is a gap but maybe adjusting the stones in the rear a bit higher might improve. Again just an opinion based on my personal preference and I am sure what ever you decide will look amazing.

Hi Stu,
great original looking scape!
Knowing your styling from what ive seen on ukaps and at aquatics live, this hardscape will be an outline and framework for heavy planting. With all that dragon stone, its 'nooks and crannies' will make a fern and moss heaven!
The sand foreground and pathway will for sure give a break on the eyes before having to refocus and search out tens of different plant types... or maybe only two or three! who knows?
Great start and im looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
Ady.

sarahtermite said:
Thanks sarah. The pumice is from here - http://www.greendragonbonsai.co.uk/BONSAI_SOIL_AT_GREEN_DRAGON_BONSAI.htm and the bags are my wifes old cut up tights (shhhh, don't tell her!)

My lips are sealed - after all, the tights were sacrificed for a good cause :lol:

I think I preferred the arch before you added the extra wood in - it had such lovely clean lines. But it's your tank, and you're the one who's going to be looking at it most, so feel free to ignore me! Still looks fab. :D
Lol! the tights went to a good home under the sea! I know what you mean about it being clean but I think when I add the plants it will soften the knurly slightly (ish!)

Vito said:
Hi Stu, loving the original scape, I must say the addition of the tallest wood clawing over the original arch is very distracting to the natural flow of the scape in my opinion and it also blocks the beautiful detail of the dragon stone in the rear, it does seem without it there is a gap but maybe adjusting the stones in the rear a bit higher might improve. Again just an opinion based on my personal preference and I am sure what ever you decide will look amazing.
Thanks Vito, very valid point. I have tried it without and as you say there is a gap. Its a decision between wood out and more stone in or stay as it is. I'm working on it now so it may or may not change!

Lewisr said:
It looks so good even without plants!
Thanks Lewis :)

Morgan Freeman said:
Looking forward to the planting. What a scape!
Cheers Morganf

JohnC said:
Looking awesome. You have just beaten me to posting a dragon stone + wood scape. I've got all the bits sitting in front of me and the redmoor soaked. If mine turns out 10% as nice as this ill be happy. :)
Ah, good job I did it this week then! Its the first time Ive used dragon stone in a 90cm so has been a challenge with a few changes before these photos. Looking forward to seeing your scape :)

mikeappleby said:
Last one much cleaner, but this has more potential to be original - and your last scape showed you can soften even a load of rock with judicious planting.

Can't wait to see this planted up - but agree maybe less is more on the variation of plant types.

That's a pretty steep bank at the back left - how are you shoring it up?

Nice clean photos too!
Thanks Mike. Re the shoring if you look closely I do have some sheets of thin slate placed vertically under the dragon stone at the back left. It also has the pumice bags underneath which strengthen it up but Ive found you can go quite steep with AS and it will stick.

Antipofish said:
Stu, this is stunning ! I am really liking this scape. You have so much to draw the eye in and that arch really draws you through to the back. Its almost like peering through a window. I agree with Mark (well we all do mostly, lol) too many plants will detract from the impact that the hardscape has.
Cheers Chris. Hoping I don't cock it up at the planting stage!
Mark Evans said:
Looks great Stu.

You really gotta watch your planting with this layout. Nice and simple I'd say :thumbup:
Thanks Mark :thumbup: Ive got so many plants to go in here too but Ill try and keep it simple but hoping to get it natural at the same time with some plants mixed together. Really want to get some crypts in as I haven't used them in ages!

xtevo said:
You don't have to put any plants in, it's amazing right now! :D With a hardscape only tank, this would win prizes easily! :thumbup:
Lol! Im the same, I always prefer a tank at the hardscape stage! Perhaps Ill just stick some lizards in there to play!

Eboeagles said:
That last scape was one of my faves - the close ups of the valley in one of your journals always made me jealous!

But I'm loving this just as much already - those new views down the valley and through the wood are amazing - almost the land that time forgot!

Jealousy strikes again...
Thanks :thumbup: I thought it may be too similar to my last scape with the pathway but when I tried that piece of manzi in the tank I knew it had to go in as an archway! Hopefully it won't get lost in the planting stage as that would be a disaster.

SuperWen said:
last hardscape much more better than before
Cheers Wen :thumbup:

Ady34 said:
Hi Stu,
great original looking scape!
Knowing your styling from what ive seen on ukaps and at aquatics live, this hardscape will be an outline and framework for heavy planting. With all that dragon stone, its 'nooks and crannies' will make a fern and moss heaven!
The sand foreground and pathway will for sure give a break on the eyes before having to refocus and search out tens of different plant types... or maybe only two or three! who knows?
Great start and im looking forward to seeing how it progresses.
Ady.
Thanks Ady. I think Ill see how it goes during planting. Ive got lots of small fissidens moss stones tied so they can slot into a few places. Ive also got a bucket full of different types of ferns form the last scape but they will only go in certain places I've got in my head :) Did we have a chat at AQL by the way?

stuworrall said:
Thanks Ady. I think Ill see how it goes during planting. Ive got lots of small fissidens moss stones tied so they can slot into a few places. Ive also got a bucket full of different types of ferns form the last scape but they will only go in certain places I've got in my head Did we have a chat at AQL by the way?

Yeah we had a brief chat after the aquascaping contest on the saturday. Was good to see the seasoned scapers in action, and congrats on your 1st place... the tank looked great as im sure this one will too!
Cheerio for now
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Yeah we had a brief chat after the aquascaping contest on the saturday. Was good to see the seasoned scapers in action, and congrats on your 1st place... the tank looked great as im sure this one will too!
Cheerio for now
Ady.
Ah, I think I remember you now. spoke to so many people over that weekend!

Mark Evans said:
stuworrall said:
Really want to get some crypts in as I haven't used them in ages!

I know what you mean mate. I love em' to.
They all went in. some out in the open and others in nooks and crannies :)

Well, planting was completed on the weekend. I did most of it on Friday on my day off but tidyied a few places up that I wasnt happy with, mainly with too much big fern going in which Ive removed. Its been running some purigen over the weekend as it was quite cloudy from the dragon stone so should be good for a picture tomorrow night as Im out tonight on a wedding consult.

Awesome 'scape, Stu. How did I miss this! Any planted pics?

Dan

Come on then Stu, don't keep us all in suspenders, let's see the latest pics... I'm looking forward to seeing them as what I've seen so far look superb! :thumbup:

right then here goes. bear in mind its just been planted so loads of growing in to do yet. The untidy part on the right is getting chopped back, the aim being to have the ferns creeping over the rock with stems and the cyperus in the background. The whole of the back has stems planted in that you can't see yet but when grown and bushed up they'll just be visible slightly above the rock dome.

should be able to view bigger on flickr view the slideshow i think.

front

6716439859_f74d77ae5c_o.jpg
90x45x45 Planted Tank by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

detail

6716439555_30798c2d90_o.jpg

shrimp on manzi

6716439055_39c2ce9ab0_o.jpg

up the valley and through the arch

6716438863_16521c6d6f_o.jpg

through the green, diffuser and co2 in the foreground

6716438501_58a09a4c2e_o.jpg

manzi detail with a lonestar shrimp

6716438055_91d9942802_o.jpg

shrimpy

6716437845_bde748c93f_o.jpg

anubias and moss on the wood

6716437541_236b47f365_o.jpg

inverted

6716437241_7885bb125e_o.jpg

detail from the front left. This bit has crypts, anubias, parvula and acularis hair grass, HC, hydro sp japan and fissidens to name a few. Ive tried to put them in as naturally as possible but time will tell how they grow in.

6716437021_328e56fb9e_o.jpg

this has 'winner' written all over it. Great scape mate!

Back