• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Stu's ADA Mini M nano - updated pics, page 12

Re: Stu's ADA Mini M nano - Step by step on page 5

Shame about the Elatine hydropiper mate - I've still not seen that used effectively in the UK. The fine texture would have given a better sense of scale than glosso.

Regardless, the whole 'scape does, and will continue to look wonderful! One of the best nanos around (and that's from an aquascaping perspective, not just photography). :thumbup:

looking ream mate haha,

the e.hydropiper went brown an disapeared quickly for me, so i ordered a 2nd pot and that one hung around for some time. stunning little plant.

cheers

Kazuya said:
Great pictures. Love the scape. I am really considering getting a Mini. Just have to wait till I setup the 90P.

A couple of questions is you do not mind.
Is there a big difference in the Do aqua outflow pipe and the ADA Lily pipe mini?
Do you notice and differences in the Africana as a pose to Amazonia?
Asking because the Book of ADA says that plants grow slower and it also help to lower pH more than the others.
Just want a first hand account of it.

Best regards,
Cesar
Thanks Casar. I would say the main difference between the Do!aqua and the ADA is that the Do lily points downwards so if you have a carpet or sand then you have to turn the flow from the filter down or you end up with substrate all around the tank (but luckily no dust) whereas the ADA points left and not down. Due to this I'd say I prefer the look of the lily but I would prefer the flow characterisics of the ADA. I think they do a jet type Do!Aqua as well though. Pics below.

lily which ive got (http://www.adana.co.jp/en/products/da_filter/)

3_0a.jpg

Do!Aqua jet

4_0.jpg

ADA Mini - (http://www.adana.co.jp/en/products/na_filter/lily_pipe/)

3_0a.jpg

Re the growth in africana as opposed to amazonia I cant really say yet as this is the first time ive used it. Once the glosso starts growing this will give me a better idea. I am really impressed with the clarity of the water though as it was crystal clear even at first filling.

ghostsword said:
Hi Stu, what thickness is the bonsai wire you are using?
I think its either 1mm or 1.5mm. It was some spare I had in my bonsai toolbox and it didnt come off a roll. It was from here - http://www.greendragonbonsai.co.uk/BONSAI_WIRE_AT_GREEN_DRAGON_BONSAI.htm

nayr88 said:
looking ream mate haha,

the e.hydropiper went brown an disapeared quickly for me, so i ordered a 2nd pot and that one hung around for some time. stunning little plant.

cheers
Nice one nayr, did you get any pics you could put up as its a rare thing to see growing.

George Farmer said:
Shame about the Elatine hydropiper mate - I've still not seen that used effectively in the UK. The fine texture would have given a better sense of scale than glosso.

Regardless, the whole 'scape does, and will continue to look wonderful! One of the best nanos around (and that's from an aquascaping perspective, not just photography). :thumbup:

Very nice of you to say so George, thanks :D I was also disappointed with the hydropiper as ive not seen it used locally (apart from nayr) but I think it had been in the tub too long as they only have a certain shelf life and tgm did give it me for free as it was an older one they wouldnt have sold. It would be handy if it started getting produced in normal pots rather than the grow pots so it had a longer shelf life. Id still like to try it so might try and get some growing emmersed then transfer it to immersed.
Mark Evans said:
Gorgeous shots Stu!
Thanks Mark :thumbup:

I got some new shots of the tank last night. The HM had grown so I had to trim it already and I re-planted the offcuts.

Ive added some new fern from my 90cm so thats not new growth! The glosso is thickly planted at the bottom. I didnt go for the trim ever piece method as I was planting in water which makes it more difficult so I planted in bunches which Ill trim if they start rising. The bolbitus has some hair algae which came in with it from the 60cm holding tank so ill be trimming some of those leaves, everything else is algae free though at the minute (fingers crossed!)

Im dosing 1 squirt of ada step 1 and two of brighty K at the moment. Ive held off using easycarbo as I didnt want the bolbitus to fail as its moved from a low tech tank.

5864331205_40068a5fc8_b.jpg
mini-m-39 by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

5864885382_f5d42b5981_b.jpg
mini-m-40 by Stu Worrall, on Flickr

Attachments

• 5864331205_40068a5fc8_b.jpg
    5864331205_40068a5fc8_b.jpg
    354.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 5864885382_f5d42b5981_b.jpg
    5864885382_f5d42b5981_b.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 148

great growth Stu! Looks great mate!

ianho said:
great growth Stu! Looks great mate!
Thanks Ian :)

ghostsword said:
Thanks mate, I never thought of using the wires, great idea, much easier than fishing line. :)
Yup, it seems to be working really well. Will look a bit ugly for a bit but is so easy to apply and remove over cotton for small areas.

It's all looking very nice Stu,good growth already as well,an entry for aquatic's live me think's :thumbup:

John.

wow, that was a quick! the hydropiper already looks better than mine did :D

i had a do aqua lilly set, didnt look like those pictures though, was a little like the 1st one pictured but more stubby.

cheers john, i dont think it will be grown in enough though for the aquatic live entry.

nayr88 said:
wow, that was a quick! the hydropiper already looks better than mine did :D.
ah but you are mistaken kind sir! Thats actually glosso in the front which has replaced the hydropiper as it failed dismally :(

nayr88 said:
i had a do aqua lilly set, didnt look like those pictures though, was a little like the 1st one pictured but more stubby.
Sounds more like a cal aqua set if its more stubby?

http://www.calaqualabs.com/Fluxus.html
nano_out_th.jpg

thats the one :D

ahhhh shame on me, i did think it grew abit freakishly quick from being brown a few days ago.
how was it in the pot when it came? i found my 1st one witch melted very quickly wasnt in to great shape compared to my 2nd pot witch hung around for some time....

thats the one :D

ahhhh shame on me, i did think it grew abit freakishly quick from being brown a few days ago.
how was it in the pot when it came? i found my 1st one witch melted very quickly wasnt in to great shape compared to my 2nd pot witch hung around for some time....

thanks matt. The wire will come in very handy :D

I realised last night whilst lounging on the sofa watching stargate that something didnt look right about the tank but I could quite put my finger on it.

mini-m-40.jpg

I had a closer look and realised id put the top left big fern in upside down! :lol: Its been corrected now and is the right way up again without the bottoms of the leaves pointing up! New corrected picture to follow tonight!

I really like this tank, the layout is spot on, and the more I look the more I like it.

The ferns are in amazing condition, although the carpet would need to be fuller to be 100%, but it is not far out.

A true masterpiece.

thanks Luis, very kind words. The carpet is only two days old so it needs a little time to grow :lol: I'd envisionage it to fill the front with glosso with runners creeping up the rocks and the SP Japan on the left will ride along the surface in a few places. Ive also got some moss stones tucked into the rocks so this should pop out of the glosso here and there :)

When I look at your last picture I actually get the feeling that the scape will look better without bolbitis and micranthemum. The wood with microsorum is so strong that the background only distracts...
Don't get me wrong - it also looks absolutely stunning as it is. ;)

Have you decided on livestock? (sorry if already mentioned)

Thanks for the feedback.

Do lily points downwards so if you have a carpet or sand then you have to turn the flow from the filter down or you end up with substrate all around the tank (but luckily no dust)

Would raising the pipes higher prevent this from happening?
Or should they go about the same height that you have them on?

Lastly:
Have any info on the Cal aqua pipes? They seem to have a slightly upward funnel shape.

Hi Stu, sorry i missed the start of this Journal.
That's a stunning little nano :thumbup: . Got any recent shots?

Cheers,
James

Back