• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Styrofoam?

SusanneK

Hi!

I'm going to create my first aquascape and wonder if I should use styrofoam under the big rocks to be sure my aquarium does not crack of the weight?
I have bought a lot of soil to place the rocks in, but perhaps that is not enough?

Susanne

Hi
You can use styrofoam, some scapers use platic egg crate!
1645183101556.png

hoggie

Thanks so much for your answer!
I have never seen a plastic egg crate so I try the styrofoam then! :)

Thanks so much for your answer!
I have never seen a plastic egg crate so I try the styrofoam then! :)
You can buy it from “aquatic” sites OR in a hardware store in the lighting section. It’s purpose commercially is for light diffusion with tube lighting. It’s what I used on the bottom of my tank as well to disperse the weight. It will be cheaper at a hardware store

I’ve used styrofoam under larger rocks but I would advise you only use under heavier pieces. It wants to float so it can make its way up from under soil, lighter rocks etc.
Also, for the same reason, do a thorough job of clearing up any bobbles that come away during cutting, moving around.

Coming from the marine hobby, I always use egg crate. Nice and stable, easy to cut to size and distributes the weight of the hardscape across the bottom of the tank.

I used to have a saltwater aquarium. I tried styrofoam, as an underlay for live rock, and it made my life so difficult. I didn't want to use egg crate, so I used an acrlylic sheet. Worked just fine.
The other option would be a piece of yoga matt.

If it was me I’d put some sort of shock absorbers under the egg crate small pieces of cork bark or foam on each corner and in the meddle
Or even the the little silicon door stoppers used on cabinets
So if something dropped on the egg crate it wasn’t sitting directly on the glass therefore the shock wouldn’t transfer to the glass
Or am I overthinking it as usual

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back