• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sub surface flowers

Wasn't worried. Just surprised, not least as my tank gets very little attention or any of the tech lavished on many other tanks.

Hi all,
This is no CO2, no ferts, and no artificial light for months, which is why i was surprised
Mine flower fairly regularly low tech, although it is usually when the leaves have become emersed. I think they benefit from some benign neglect.

I also think it might also be seasonal, as mine have just finished <"flowering at the moment">.

cheers Darrel

I don't have much anubias at the moment but I thought it was quite seasonal as well because each plant would flower about once a year. I'm not sure outside influences had an effect as I would see flowers throughout the year on separate plants and then each plant would go another year or so before it flowered again. This tank was admittedly in a room with hardly any natural light and the temperature was stable.
I have mostly buce now in a tank that gets lots of direct sunlight, has the temp set to 22c but was at 29c briefly during the summer and all the buce's flower at the same time just after a drop in temperature.

My large leaf Anubias and Buce flower regularly under water. I've never seen flowering in small leaf Anubias and Buce.

Just wonder why do they waste energy to flower underwater as I am not aware of the existence of underwater pollinators?

This is all small A. barteri nana/bonzai/petite.. There is 1/3 more not in view. :) About 5 years old and never ever a flower. Indeed..
DSC_0158.JPG

[QUOTE="tiger15, post: 573804, member: 17191"
Just wonder why do they waste energy to flower underwater as I am not aware of the existence of underwater pollinators?[/QUOTE]
The water itself can carry pollen between submerged flowers.

[QUOTE="tiger15, post: 573804, member: 17191"
Just wonder why do they waste energy to flower underwater as I am not aware of the existence of underwater pollinators?
The water itself can carry pollen between submerged flowers.[/QUOTE]
The shape of the flower is insect pollinated. Wind pollinated flowers are inconspicuous. I’ve never heard of water pollinated flowers

In the late 1970s, fearful of nuclear Armageddon, the US administration made plans to move food production underwater. (Water is quite good at absorbing radiation.) Part of the program included the training of SCUBA bees.

Hi all, I assume there is some physiological trigger that initiates flowering in Anubias. In the wild the trigger would indicate that the plant is emersed, or likely to become emersed fairly soon.

Have a look at:

From @zanguli-ya-zamba's <"DR Congo Expedition to underwater garden lake Fwa">.

cheers Darrel

I guess you are right. They just mis flowered underwater thinking they are or will soon be out of water. I don’t think they flower regularly under water in the wild.

Anubias, Buce and Cryptocoryne belong to Arum family that include many marsh and rainforest plants many of which, such as Philodendron, are common house plants. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araceae

The water itself can carry pollen between submerged flowers.
The shape of the flower is insect pollinated. Wind pollinated flowers are inconspicuous. I’ve never heard of water pollinated flowers
Anubias are defenitely insect pollinated......... but there are plants using water for pollination, and most of us have one of them in our tanks: Vallisneria!! Have a close look at the banana-shaped female flower at the end of the long, curled, flexible stem, sometimes occuring. It floats at surface-tension, right in the surface. The male flowers occur submerged, as little, yellow sacs at the base of the plant. These will open, letting pollen float to the surface, riding on surface-tension and with a little luck landing on the stigma of the female flower ...... and voila: we have a pollination (you just have to admire nature!!!)

Back