• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate advice/suggestions

Hi Vase,

as you are aware, we both have the same tank, i have to say the ADA AS is the best substrate i have used, and personally i would not buy any other after using it.

I bought 14 bags, but these where for 2 tanks originally, but ended up sticking it all in for some rough hills. :D

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2347&hilit=destruction

I'm not sure of any ill-effects this has on discus, except for dropping PH by .5 :lol:

No power sand was used, or needed.

Thanks mate, very helpful. I was just looking to see what else there was and the ADA sands caught my eye. Apparently with Discus, a dark substrate affects their colouring causing them to show stress bars and any fish with Pigeon blood genes end up 'peppering' and looking cack. But if there's a nice carpet I'm sure it will be fine.

My tanks going to need a lot of work to get it looking anywhere decent. If you dont mind me asking mate how much did your substrate cost you? I dont like to ask how much things cost (brought up not to) but once I know I can half it and then tell the mrs the price :lol:

Do you have any close up shots of your tank with the substrate. Its helpful seeing a tank the same as mine and what's going on with it. Only so much the imagination can do!

:D

I'm sure you'll Discus will be fine, but you could always use the AS Malaya or Africana as an alternative. As for carpeting, glosso has been very easy with the new substrate, T5's and CO2.

I paid £27.99 from AE, but it is available from TGM now, at the same price. So 14 x £27.99. :( I did research into the alternatives like you, but found them just as expensive, and boy have i wasted money originally setting up with Dennerle.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2641

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=4178&hilit=blyxa+bolbitis

No real close up pics, but i'll be taking some more pics next week, and i will take some them.

I dont want my substrate to bee quite as deep, maybe half, so that should save me top dollar. I was looking at the Malaysia as I like the colour and its a bit different. With a nice lawn of glosso it should brighten up nicely. Blyxa is top of my list now too :D

Back