• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

substrate cleaning

papa_c

Here's a simple question but one that I can't seem to find an solution! I must be blinding myself looking for the answer!

How do you clean your substrate without disturbing the low growing carpet plants. Previously I have tried using a gravel cleaner but this tends to disturb the plants and up routes them.

I have pygmy crypts, hair grass and echinodorus tenellus which all become uprooted when I tried to clean the substrate where they are planted.

I usually just use a hose, let that start siphoning out water, and then wave it over the substrate, about 5-10 mm. of the bottom (depending on how heavy the substrate is; sand will be sucked in from much further away then gravel), while using my fingers to disturb the debris on the substrate/ stuck between the carpet plants.
I think George Farmer had a video where he uses the same technique, it's somewhere on Youtube.

Edit: found it:

Back