• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate depth and planting questions

Nont

Hello everyone.

I have these following questions:
  • How deep should substrate be for carpeting plants, stem plants and ‘root feeder’ plants?
  • In Dutch scape, do you plant stem plants as indivitual plant or in bundle?
  • How deep should the plant be in the substrate, do I have to buried the crown (2) part or just the roots? My plants tend to float if I buried only roots part.

Thanks in advance :)
B8D66FCD-33A5-49E8-8454-530CE721B01D.jpeg

Last edited:
You may find most carpet plants have delicate roots so a layer of Tropica soil powder helps on top of your chosen substrate. I never had much luck with carpet plants but some of my failures looking back could be down to root damage (tissue cultered hairgrass) and not necesssary for every plant CO2 helps

Thanks, Darrel and Paraguay.
You may find most carpet plants have delicate roots so a layer of Tropica soil powder helps on top of your chosen substrate. I never had much luck with carpet plants but some of my failures looking back could be down to root damage (tissue cultered hairgrass) and not necesssary for every plant CO2 helps
I don’t have much luck as well and this is why I try to use large carpeting plants like H. tenellum and S. subulata. I have both of them growing in gravel.

Hi all, If the smaller plant has very stiff leaves? It is probably Ophiopogon, and a non-aquatic. The growth form is really similar to Sagittaria subulata and Echinodorus tenellus, but they have much less wiry leaves.

Cheers Darrel
I’m pretty sure it’s a Sagittaria subulata, they were sold as such and have been growing submerged in my tank for 4 months now.

Helanthium vs Sagittaria which one looks better in Iwagumi in your opnion?

How deep should substrate be for carpeting plants, stem plants and ‘root feeder’ plants?
Most carpet plants you can partially bury the leaves, it's common practice with in-vitro which usually don"t have much in the way of a root system. They will grow new leaves pretty quickly. Most stem plants the same.

Rosette type plants like the so called root feeders, either 1 or 2 or inbetween is fine. I've always tried to plant as in position 1. The technique is to push them in with pincettes past position 2 and pull them out slightly to position 1. That way the roots should be in a better position to hold the plant in place.

In Dutch scape, do you plant stem plants as indivitual plant or in bundle?
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/crash-course-dutch-style-aquascaping.8713/

Back