• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate for a planted hob?

OllieNZ

Hi All,
Since switching to plant unfriendly african cichlids (blighters keep digging up my vallis) I've been looking at the best way to get plants in the system and I've decided to build a planted hob, so what's the best substrate for this type of application?

Presumably you intend to grow the plants emersed. In which case, hydroton balls from a hydroponic supplier would be a good choice.
Thanks

You can also try to grow some plants on top of a sponge, ones that come with filters can work. Plants that will do well on a sponge in my opinion include mosses and Riccardia Chamedryfolia. I believe HC and Gloss may also work well, can can even grow it on the moss when its grown in.

Sorry, I should have been more specific, yes it will be for emersed/terrestial plants that don't mind wet feet. It's going to be a diy filter with the water being pumped in one end and flowing out the other.

Back