• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate For Reparium Planter?

Andy D

Hi All,

I have a new project underway and it will involve a few planters with emersed growth. My question is - does it matter what substrate is used in the planter?

I can see lots of people use hydroton capped with gravel/cat litter. Rather than pay out for hydroton could I just use cat litter?

Thanks in advance.

:)

I think cat litter on its own would be fine mate- the plants should absorb all its nutrients from the water column anyway. Its only like 8 quid for a more-than-enough bag anyway.

Even better, why not just wedge or tie the plants into bits of hardscape near the surface?

I think cat litter on its own would be fine mate- the plants should absorb all its nutrients from the water column anyway. Its only like 8 quid for a more-than-enough bag anyway.

Even better, why not just wedge or tie the plants into bits of hardscape near the surface?

£8 for Hydroton or cat litter? If hydroton, where from?

I was considering tying plants to hardscape but with my current idea I do not think there would any where I want to plants to go.

It's not called hydroton specifically, they are called hydroballs (specifically made for reptile terrariums etc) and you can simply get them from pets at home mate, if they are a good reptile supplier. If not, simply type in hydroballs into google and bam theres loads of results haha. I just did, found a packet for like £4 or so. :)

It's not called hydroton specifically, they are called hydroballs (specifically made for reptile terrariums etc) and you can simply get them from pets at home mate, if they are a good reptile supplier. If not, simply type in hydroballs into google and bam theres loads of results haha. I just did, found a packet for like £4 or so. :)

Thanks Dominic!

I use a good amount of hydroton clay pebbles at the bottom , then a layer of soil(normal top soil from the garden shop) then I cap it with very little gravel(like a couple of mm of it) but you can use cat litter or whatever you have. No plants have complained of this.
But some plants like to be in soil, some plants like lots of flow between their roots like the peace lilies for example so on my lilies I've used just hydroton clay pebbles. So a bit of research may be useful to see what particular plants like.

Back