• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate/sand depth

Cro

I want a total substrate depth of no more than 6 cm (at the front, can be more at the back) and want to know how best to achieve this. I am going to be using JBL aqua basis plus as the fert substrate then topped with aquarium sand. My thoughts are 4cm depth JBL then 2cm sand. Is this good? Is there a better way?

Sounds about right, do whatever you want re the substrate really. Unless you are going to have 'shallow' rooted plants like HC then I dont suppose it'll matter, so long as the aquabasis is under there somewhere :)

FYI the sand will eventually fall below the aquabasis cos of the smaller grain size, so it'll not look crisp and clean forever unfortuantely.

Sam

Thanks for the info Sam.

Is there something better than sand I could use? I have quite a few bottom feeders so want them to be able to dig about a bit, I know I'll be replanting a lot but it's the fishes happiness I'm more concerned about. If there is a better top substrate alternative could I mix the sand with the JBL to make it go further? The bag says it's enough for a 200L tank, mines 240L and I have just over a bag and a half, but according to the post on here about working out how much you need that comes out to 4 bags. :?

Back