• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Substrate/Soil for Emersed Grow?

Roman B

Heya!

So I went for small emersed setup.... and a bit confused with soil?
I googled a lot but didn't find any of suggested ones in local shops.

I have some Tropica soil, JBL Manado, JBL AquaBasis+
Also have Tropica Nutrition Capsules
I were thinking to use Tropica soil and crush one capsule of nutrition into 4l container.

Will any of this work for emersed ? or should i buy some potting soil ?

What you already have will work fine...my preference would be for the Tropica soil, but I suppose it depends on design etc. Potting compost will also work well, check out the Tutorials section for suitable types.

I use ADA soil and works fine. When I use potting compost all the roots of my HC will die. It burns quase to much nutrients.
Don't use soluble fertilizer

I have been using shirakura shrimp substrate with great success, also akadama, different mixes with akadama, peat etc adding some ferts with the water, no problems at all. If I were you, I would use the tropica soil. It will get the plants established and growing in no time. No need to add anything to it.

I use the same mix as I use for my bonsai trees, 25% cat litter 50% loam (garden soil) 15% coarse sand and the rest is made up from chicken s...t, peat & slow realise granules. That might sound complicated but it is great fun to mix and works like magic!

Back