Substrate turners coldwater

NAJAS GUPPY

Any inverts for substrating turning in a coldwater tank?

I live in a cold un centrally heated cottage in scotland. Often heated house from the log burner but nights are grim for the tank.

Have tried M.T.S. they nearly made it but i think winter was just a month too long for them to 'hibernate'... was expected given their tropical.

zozo

Viviparus are excellent diggers, indigenous in European waters, but they also require a rather dirty with detritus littered substrate to thrive. They do not very well and easily starve to death in a tidy maintained aquarium. And tropical temperature aquariums are definitively too warm for them. Since they prefer high oxygen levels...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viviparus_viviparus

Their diet is next to some algae mainly detritus... Might be that blanched vegetables could be offered as an alternative food source. The few times i had them they were too short-lived to find out. My problem was i had sticklebacks killing them... Yet never tried them again due to scarce availability in the trade.

Last edited:

NAJAS GUPPY

Viviparus are excellent diggers, indigenous in European waters, but they also require a rather dirty with detritus littered substrate to thrive. They do not very well and easily starve to death in a tidy maintained aquarium. And tropical temperature aquariums are definitively too warm for them. Since they prefer high oxygen levels...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viviparus_viviparus

Their diet is next to some algae mainly detritus... Might be that blanched vegetables could be offered as an alternative food source. The few times i had them they were too short-lived to find out. My problem was i had sticklebacks killing them... Yet never tried them again due to scarce availability in the trade.
I have considered them before didn't know they burrowed though!

My major worry in the past was that i have mini rams, regular rams (blue pink spotted you name it i have the colour haha) and tadpoles. I have read they like to snack on them :(

Are they verocious snail eaters do you know? If so it's a no from me sadly. Can't be without my 'pest' snails which sadly don't dig.

zozo

Are they verocious snail eaters do you know?
No, I don't know... I only know all cichlids are also predatory fish...

My experience with Sticklebacks, they ignore ramshorn and pond snail. But Viviparus is shredded to pieces. I never tried but obviously they seem to be delicious...

Just give it a try with only one to begin with and see how it goes. That's all you can do.
Worst case scenario, you're a snail murderer. :shy: But you could be lucky, all tho they need a partner to mate, but they are also champions in storing seamen from a previous mate and they still are hermaphrodite. And about all viviparus snails, I kept in the past, spawned rather soon. About all gave birth within a week to a number of baby snails.

I believe i always failed to keep them alive is due to temperature control.