• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sudden onset of BBA and CaSO4

Hanuman

I started to have BBA, Green Dust Algae, Green Spot Algae growing for the past month. Nothing concerning and I put that on the back of the partial rescape, ~80% change of soil and removal of many fast growing plants. Tanks is (was, if you consider the rescape) one year and half old. I have gone through all the common remedies when dealing with BBA (increase Co2, improve water flow etc ). I would say things were under control.

BBA has noticeably increased in the past 2 weeks and I am becoming concerned as I have many delicate slow growing plants. I also started to dose CaSO42 two weeks ago in order to re-mineralise the water since I am now full RO. This BBA increase coincides with the CaSO4 addition.

I have used the dilute bleach treatment to dip bucep and anubias to kill the BBA on some plants but I can't do that to all plants and certain hardscape. I don't really like use Hydrogen Peroxide as it is quite aggressive and could easily damage or kill some of the plants. I have tried that on some hardscape but it is not as effective as I would like.

I am currently dosing APT complete.
Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 21.38.00.jpg

So the question is, can calcium trigger or at least accelerate the growth of BBA?

What would be the best full tank treatment in this situation? I know fixing the source of the problem is the first thing to do but I also need to take preemptive measures so that I don't end up having to trim heavily infected leaves.

If this serves any purpose, the tank plant population:
- Anubias (3 or 4 different species)
- Bucephalandra (around 10 different species)
- Microsorum (needle, narrow)
- Eriocaulon (Quinquangulare, Udonthani, Lineare, Vietnam)
- Echinodorus Aflame Purple Knight Red Amazon Sword
- Hygrophila Sp. Chai

and a pictures:
IMG_3654.jpg

IMG_3655.jpg
IMG_3656.jpg

IMG_3657.jpg
IMG_3658.jpg

Last edited:
Dude, have you read the what causes BBA thread? ;)

I've personally never heard of a connection between Ca and any algae.

Increasing Phosphorus can be helpful.

As can a Siamese Algae Eater (SAE).

It looks like each of the areas you highlighted in you photos were in the less planted sections of your tank, so either increasing plant mass in those areas or reducing light intensity (Perhaps with some floating plants) might help.

Back