• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggestion for a background plant providing contrast?

Jack B

I've got a vacant mid-to-background plot on the right side of my 180L low tech tank, as shown.

I'd like something brown/red (or very dark green?)

Ludwigia Repens has worked well (see centre-left) but I'd quite like something different

I've tried L Palustris a few times but it keeps losing lower leaves.

I have crypt Wendtii brown up front and in the mid ground - which I like as it provides contrast with all the pale greens. Is there maybe another crypt that would contrast well? Or something else?

I have fairly high flow and the floaters do tug on the stems a bit. Robust is good. My aquasoil is pretty depleted now so something that can get by on EI and root tabs... Midground/background/both?

Any suggestions gratefully received :)

20211005_183858.jpg

That looks promising. Does it go yellow with limited light? Not so keen on yellow / v light green, but a mix of darker green and red (like L Repens) would work

I'd like something brown/red (or very dark green?

I have fairly high flow and the floaters do tug on the stems a bit. Robust is good.

My aquasoil is pretty depleted now so something that can get by on EI and root tabs..
Maybe not the plant you were after but to me your requirments are screaming out echinodorus Ozelot red or echinodorus red rubin, could well be a curve ball but sure Aldous Huxley would approve. 😉

Maybe not the plant you were after but to me your requirments are screaming out echinodorus Ozelot red or echinodorus red rubin, could well be a curve ball but sure Aldous Huxley would approve. 😉
Hadn't seen them before; they are on the short list for sure 👍

I do like the hammered leaf look - good suggestion, thanks. The occasional brown leaf would be nice too

If not a crypt, what about a nice red/brown/purple echinodorus?

Echinodorus rubin or rubra are nice big classic red/purples, or atlandsberg, fancy twist are a bit more spotty. Or for a smaller one red devil which has long thin leaves. Mine grew really well lowtech, and they love root tabs. All the ones I mentioned are available on Pro Shrimp, and all really nice (it's been much harder to find nice red/purple varieties since Brexit).

Cracking suggestions Wookii and Shangman. Will keep me busy on Google images for a while. Crypts would go well with my existing plants but I need to have a proper look at echinodorus

Wow red devil looks ace...

Back