• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggestions for low light, low tech plants which aren't green?

The Miniaturist

Hello everyone, I'm after ideas as per the title please.
I have every shade of green from bright bacopa to almost purple crypts but nothing pinkish or reddish. I bought a very sad cup of altenanthera reinicki, the plants were minute & are still deciding whether to grow or not!
At the moment I put strategically placed dead leaves around but they go brown & rot away eventually.
I'm not expecting glowing, jewel-like shades but a small accent of colour in the green would be nice.

Crypt 'pink flamingo' gives a really nice splash of pink.
Crypt spiralis red is beautiful @Konrad Michalski sometimes has them available.
I've just got Lagenandra Meeboldii red, so can't comment on its low light colouration.
Echinodorus reni is on my list to try.
In the past I had hygrophylia polysperma sunset/rosanervig, which I really liked but recently for some reason I can't understand, I've mastered killing stems with great efficiency otherwise I'd try Ludwigia palustris 'Super Red'.

Hi @ScareCrow ,
I've actually got lagenandra meeboldii red, the new leaves are coming out a lighter green with purplish markings so they do show up.
I'd thought of ludwigia palustris 'super red' but thought it would probably end up as 'super brown' with no lower leaves! Though I'm still tempted.

Scarecrows suggestion of cryptocoryne spiralis is a good one, cryptocoryne undulatus or wendtii show nice colours low tech. Cryptocoryne balansae with lots of ferts get lovely red stems.
Easiest plant I've ever grown low tech with colour would be ludwigia repens, very easy forgiving plant.
Echinodorus.. you've loads of options.

Cheers.

Thank you @aec34 nymphaea lotus are lovely but probably too big for my 57l tank!
And thank you @John q I'd thought of a ludwigia as they were easy but just wondered what other people had grown. I have echinodorus ozelot green, it seems quite forgiving in low light keeping the spotty leaves!

In general you'll get more color with more light, but in my lowest energy tank red tiger lotus is hands down the winner for brightest red I have tried. I also have some buce that gets some nice dark red/purple coloration even in the shade, and Cryptocoryne beckettii gets a nice light brown on top of the leaves and pink underneath. Ludwigia repens also gets pink when it gets to the top of the tank, but it's green until it gets more light.

There are a bunch of non-green crypts that are easy keepers, but it seems like their final color can be pretty variable and light is an important determining factor. I'm about to try a bunch of different ones myself, but I won't have any solid opinions for a year. Gotta wait for them to grow in properly, which takes forever without CO2.

I'm trying bucephalandra biblis but it's really tiny, I think the plant is growing but very slowly. The other one is green velvet (more green!) but it was the only one the shop had available.
Then there's @tam's anubias nana golden.
I shouldn't really add anything else, it's all squished together with small groups of stems here & there & unpronounceable somethings dotted in between so you can't see the substrate but there's just this space....

Back