• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggestions for Nano cube

Ash J

Morning all!

After having my 40l nano cube running for just over a month now I've come to the conclusion that the built in filter compartment really isn't cutting it. Although all water parameters are perfect I've noticed so much crap build up on the leaves of plants and substrate, despite regular 50% water changes. I can clean everything up and 2 days later it looks a mess again. I've now got an outbreak of BGA and considering there's no stock in the tank and the light I'm using isn't very strong (aqual leddy 2) I believe this is down to not enough flow from the pump and the fact the inlet vent is right at the surface of the tank (merely acts as a skimmer).

I'm looking to remove the built in filter compartment completely and add either a HOB or small cannister filter though a cannister would likely be preferable.

I've been looking at the Oase filtersmart thermo 100 though read mixed reviews or a Tetra EX600 +. Budget wise I'm not really looking spent anything over £120. If anyone has any suggestions or feedback with these filters that would be awesome!

Cheers

Ash

Can’t you just upgrade the existing pump ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This wouldn't work as the chamber for the pump is extremely tight so I don't think I could get anything any bigger than the one already in there.

You can see where the inlet is on this pic
IMG_20220227_102448.jpg
IMG_20220227_102145.jpg
Camera didn't pick up the colours to well but this is where the BGA has started forming.
IMG_20220227_102206.jpg
Woke up to this strange film floating all over the tank too which wasn't there last night.

IMG_20220227_102242.jpg
Not injecting CO2 as wanted to keep this tank low tech.

Cheers
Ash

have a look at facebook or ebay. used eheim filters are nice, just make sure they've been used for fresh water. got my 2213 for 30 quid and it's worked flawlessly for the 2 years I've had it, I believe I'm the third owner of it haha. the simple design means not much can break, replacement parts are cheap in case you need them, which is a bonus!

If it’s any help the Tetratec EX400 and 600 are much quieter than the similar size Eheim Classic and Sera 130 that I have.

This wouldn't work as the chamber for the pump is extremely tight so I don't think I could get anything any bigger than the one already in there.
Then you could use 2 that fit inside or use a small external pump ?

Thanks guys, I ended up ordering the Tetra EX600+ which should arrive tomorrow, may be abit overkill but at least I'll know the tanks getting a decent turnover.

Back