• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suggestions for very fine roots/branches . . .

Unless you want the challenge of creating it yourself that custom background look good.

The do look good don’t they. This is the website:

The seller appears to sell them on eBay too.

I know artificial backgrounds are generally considered a bit of a no-no in aquascaping, but I’m wondering if they’d work well on a habitat style tank - If not as a below water background maybe as an above water background, with some real emersed planting in front of it.

Ive got some of these very fine roots in my storage that I probably wont use, they are from a native hardwood tree that had fallen over one stormy night. Shipping might be a little bit costly from Norway but if you want them they're yours. I can take some pics of them if youre interested. They still have a lot of the very fine stuff attached so might need some trimming

Thanks @Hufsa thats very kind of you. If you are happy to take some pics and drop me a PM that would be great. I’m sure we could sort postage out if they are not too large.

Aquaflora scaping twigs?

You can see these in Filipe Oliveira videos, if AG is still selling Aquaflora plants, they should be able to order these in as well

Thanks Alto - do you mean these ones?:

1611393095017.jpeg

If so, yes, they look like they might work as a backup option - I’ve seen similar on eBay - I’m not sure what tree they come from?

Hi @Wookii,
forum sponsors horizon aquatics have this in:
E545490A-26CB-4074-B566-B8BC1ABC90C1.jpeg

Its not listed on their website but I saw it today and thought of you. If it could be of use then give them a call or message and they will be able to help and send in the post.
Cheerio,

@Wookii they are on their website now also :)

Live near a deciduous wood? Should find some naturally felled oak in larger ones.

Mobile version does not show location to see if anyone can suggest one.

So my ongoing search for natural looking roots continues. The 'Faraway' tress suggested by Ady from Horizon Aquatics are still an option, but for the amount I would likely need are a bit of a pricey option - I'd likely need £60-£100 worth

We went to a local country park last weekend with an estate lake, so I took the opportunity to have a quick look under some of the Alders for exposed roots as suggested by @mort. That drew a blank sadly, but I will have the local river to check in the next couple of weeks.

In the meantime I saw these online:

1613470294717.png

Does anyone know if these would be suitable for aquarium use? A little bit wasteful of a year old tree I know, but I could use the roots for my scaping idea, and cut twigs for substrate decoration, so there wouldn't be much wastage.

If they are suitable, what would I need to do to prepare them for use? I assume I couldn't just use them as is - I'm guessing I need to boil them or dry them or some such?

Do you have any local woodland near you? If you do, and your weather has been anything like ours over the last couple of years, you might be able to find a tree that's toppled over with its roots exposed. I'd suggest that over the fresh roots as they will have been matured by the weather and will likely cause fewer problems. It was the same idea with the alder roots in the water as the water will have washed out a lot of material.

Alder should be safe to use when slightly matured, as would be beech or hornbeam if looking at hedging. Normally I'd leave anything I wanted to use in a water butt for 6 months or so, to mature but I'm sure you could speed up the process. It's not something I've tried but hopefully someone has and can advise.

Do you have any local woodland near you? If you do, and your weather has been anything like ours over the last couple of years, you might be able to find a tree that's toppled over with its roots exposed. I'd suggest that over the fresh roots as they will have been matured by the weather and will likely cause fewer problems. It was the same idea with the alder roots in the water as the water will have washed out a lot of material.

Alder should be safe to use when slightly matured, as would be beech or hornbeam if looking at hedging. Normally I'd leave anything I wanted to use in a water butt for 6 months or so, to mature but I'm sure you could speed up the process. It's not something I've tried but hopefully someone has and can advise.

Yeah, I'm keeping an eye out. Unfortunately the few fallen trees I've managed to locate so far have either broken at the trunk leaving a stump in the ground, or where they have fell from the base have left the majority of the roots in the ground, with none of the smaller fine roots I'm after being visible. I'll keep looking though.

Just stumbled across these on Amazon:

Amazon product ASIN B07G77P3QH
A13IaPmZrgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

A quick google suggests that Vetiver grass is used in some places to help remove pollutants and excess nutrients in water treatment, so I'm assuming these dried roots would be aquarium safe. Any thoughts? (@dw1305 ?)

Thanks @Dorey - it's funny you mention that, I was looking at their social media photos after reading your thread this morning here: Dorey’s EA 900

They look for have a great choice of botanicals.

The palm brush looking interesting - maybe a bit too uniform for my purposes perhaps. Those Ramous roots look good. I need to figure out how see what specific pieces they have in stock - they don't seem to have a working website strangely.

Thanks @Dorey - it's funny you mention that, I was looking at their social media photos after reading your thread this morning here: Dorey’s EA 900

They look for have a great choice of botanicals.

The palm brush looking interesting - maybe a bit too uniform for my purposes perhaps. Those Ramous roots look good. I need to figure out how see what specific pieces they have in stock - they don't seem to have a working website strangely.
Think the website got put on hold when lockdown started as a 3rd party we’re doing it, if you message them directly they are helpful and will send pics, tell them I sent you

Last edited:
Back