• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Suitable for a betta?

Hanuman

I have this nano tank 36*36 which had a betta splenden. Unfortunately he passed away a few days ago.
I could replace the fish but the thing is that I am not convinced that the tank is fully adapted for a betta. Check the video and let me know what changes you would do to make the tank more betta friendly. I want to avoid re-scaping the whole thing but wouldn't mind making some changes to make the tank more confortable for a betta mahachai that I have in mind.

If changes would be too dramatic what other fish would you recommend I add without changing the scape?

These are the plants in the tank:
Vallisneria nana
Bolbitis
Hemianthus Callitrichoides
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Weeping moss
Minipearl moss
Staurogyne sp
Lugwigia repens Rubin
Bucephalandra lamandau (not sure)
Alternanthera Reineckii (not sure)
Bucephalandra lamandau (not sure)

Last edited:
betta mahachai
tightly fitting lid
floating plants
almond leaf etc to tint the water - at least initially until fish has settled (which could be couple weeks or some months)

Tank is lovely!
there are nice secluded areas as well as the open area
I imagine the shrimp will be quickly hunted

Where are you getting your fish from?

I’ve seen nothing but stunning fish from this seller
https://m.facebook.com/franks.bettas

Thanks. So you wouldn't recommend removing any of the current plants like the Hemianthus Callitrichoides for example? Reason is that adding tanins to the water might end up making the light difficult to reach the cuba.

I can always move the shrimps back to my 900 tanks. The previous betta splenden I had didn't care much about the shrimps but a betta mehachai might hunt them indeed.

The betta mahachai come from the very place I live in. That is Bangkok and its surroundings so I do not have any sourcing problems here ;)
Two famous shops:
https://www.facebook.com/Saimai-Betta-Thailand-Shop--920461141322317/
https://www.facebook.com/bettaberrythailand/

Last edited:
Agree - so many beautiful Bettas in your country!
How can one choose :wideyed:

I think the HC will be fine with some lower lighting as long as CO2 is good, you don’t need a heavy tint, just slight tea water for when you add the wild Betta, also add Betta after lights are dimmed

Some wilds can be quite bold, other quite shy so you will see when you go to the shop
(I would not catch a wild Betta and put it directly into a high light tank)

Of course if you feel like a plant change, remove the HC and add MC instead - it will even grow in shaded areas as long as CO2 is there
Or you could try a Marsilea carpet - crenata is smaller leaf and more uniform I think than M hirsuta

I had some shrimp in with Betta hendra - never saw them hunt or even notice the shrimp..... but no shrimp in tank a year later so who knows

I’ve seen nothing but stunning fish from this seller
https://m.facebook.com/franks.bettas

I have been looking in detail at the seller. In fact he is from Thailand (based in the north east) and so far what I have read about him only gives me confidence. He also seems very concerned about conservation and that is something that is important to me. So I might go with him if price is right. Thanks for sharing this.
Guys like this should be promoted as much as possible.

Last edited:
Yes Frank is very dedicated to his fish - (if you join his FB group) he usually has videos and some discussion on his breeding/spawn progress etc

I help a friend who tranships fish - many Betta from Thailand and Indonesia - Frank’s fish are usually more expensive but much higher quality, and are notably happy, active fish

If you buy local betta splendens then you don’t have to change much, either add a glass lid or lower the water level as they will all have been raised in just tap water
Your do lucky being able to do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you buy local betta splendens then you don’t have to change much, either add a glass lid or lower the water level as they will all have been raised in just tap water
Your do lucky being able to do that

Yes a lid is probably a must specially with a wild betta. Sophisticated hybrids tend to be less jumpy but wilds (even breed indoors) are known to be very jumpy and to my understanding they can even jump 40/50cm high. That's what breeders have told me. So lowering the water alone will not suffice. Thinking things through though I am not so inclined to add a lid to that tank. I just don't like lids ;) so I might have to rethink if a betta is actually a good choice after all.

As for bettas being raised in tap water perhaps that is a fact but water is left to rest and or re-filtered and all breeders and shops I know use catappa leaf extract water with bettas. We are actually in the country of catappa. Can find catappa trees all over the place here.

Last edited:
Back