• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

suitable riparium plants

krazypara3165

I have recently acquired some shower caddy pots so I would like to set up some riparium plants growing emmersed out of the top of my discus tank.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendation for plants?

the water will be kept at around 28 degrees.

Ideally im looking for south american species but at the end of the day im not too fussy

cheers,

Hi all,
Have a look at "hydrophyte"'s riparium threads. A few easy ones to grow and find that are S. American would be Spathiphyllum "Peace Lily", any of the Maranta spp. "Prayer plant" and the Maiden-hair ferns (Adiantum spp) that a lot of people have used.

If it is a big tank how about a Swiss-Cheese plant (Monstera delicosa), for a 70's retro look.

cheers Darrel

Any plant... all hygrophilas, anubias, echinodorus, basically anything you want to try..

Agree, with the caution that not all plants adjust equally well to European room humidity. Since the OP wants to grow them out of the tank I am assuming that this will be the case here. Personally, I have grown Hydrocotyle "tripartita" and Bacopa in room humidity with no problem. I am sure others will work well too.

Thomas

Agree, with the caution that not all plants adjust equally well to European room humidity. Since the OP wants to grow them out of the tank I am assuming that this will be the case here. Personally, I have grown Hydrocotyle "tripartita" and Bacopa in room humidity with no problem. I am sure others will work well too.

Thomas

I have grown all of the above in my home tank, in London.. :)

Hi all,
I can name a few more of "Foxfish"'s plants, the frilly fern at the front left is Nephrolepis (Boston Fern), the Fig is a small leaved form of Ficus benjamina, and probably F. benjamina 'Natasja'. The less frilly fern looks like a Polystichum.
hijack this thread but how big a tank are you talking for Swiss cheese plant? And how would be best way to plant
You don't really need a huge tank if you have enough room a long side the tank. The easiest option is to start with it potted and then just feed the aerial roots into the tank < Crazy Killi Tank>. Once it has a few roots in the tank you can cut the plant off at the pot end and it will carry on quite happily. I know I've posted this link before, but have a look here as well:<Indoor plants for water purification and nitrate reduction in aquariums « tuncalik.com – Natural Aquariums and Sustainable Life>.

cheers Darrel

Back