• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp

i'd forgotton you'd already posted pics :oops: .was just wondering how they were doing and didn't look through the thread :lol:

Update: No shrimp babies yet, but just found 2 baby Sulawesi snails in the tank, they are super cute but kind of large - they weren't obvious 5 days ago when I did the last water change! Seems the water parameters are fine, at least for the snails! I have had 2 shrimp deaths that I know of and usually see 6 shrimp at one time so hopefully I have 8 left...

hi,
sorry to hear about the deaths.not bad going so far though,at your first attempt.
you'll be selling snails soon :D

Yeah! They are not as prolific as normal snails though, typical. The two shrimp deaths, one was an unknown cause but the other developed a lump (not fungal or bacterial from what I could tell) and just didn't shed properly and I found it dead :arghh:
Fingers crossed for the remaining :D

oatfish said:
Yeah! They are not as prolific as normal snails though, typical. The two shrimp deaths, one was an unknown cause but the other developed a lump (not fungal or bacterial from what I could tell) and just didn't shed properly and I found it dead :arghh:
Fingers crossed for the remaining :D
Diet it essential for their shedding, make sure you feed them foods high in calcium ;) good luck, put me down for some snails when you breed enough hehe ;)

The one that died from not shedding properly was not long after I got them, since then I have found lots of successful sheds, but fingers crossed! Apart from shrimp pellets, what else did you find yours liked to eat LD? I have tried them on courgette and spinach but they seemed disinterested in both :rolleyes:

Yep, They are quite shy so it is trick to see what they do eat, maybe I just need to persist!

Try organic as well!

Not sure if it is the same for shrimps, but my Otos will eat Sainsburys organic cucumber but are not too keen on the non-organic one. I guess the taste of pesticides puts them off. Can't hurt to try :)

ok, will give it a go and update you! A shrimp smorgasbord coming up.... (as in food for the shrimp not shrimp as the food :lol: )

i thought i show you mine. they just looks amazing in my Nano. I have 12 of them.

3613610917_776a94eda4_o.jpg

3613612023_3e6d09fd76_o.jpg

3613609169_bd3c7b1082_o.jpg

Looking great Viktor, unfortunatly I got mine as my substrate started turning to crap and they didn't last very long after that, I will try them again in the future thats for sure ;)

WOW! Gorgeous set up, Mine are just in a tank with some rocks and some moss. What do you find yours like to eat?

oatfish said:
WOW! Gorgeous set up, Mine are just in a tank with some rocks and some moss. What do you find yours like to eat?

thanks guys. will try to shoot some better ones later ;)
yeah i heard that they like better the rocks. however i can tell you that they love the moss jungle ;) whatever they find in the tank they eat. The setup is really fresh a month old or so. So there are some algae not that much, but i add some Shirakura shrimp food every 2nd day.

Hope they will breed. I had success earlier with similar nano tank with other shimps.

viktorlantos said:
Hope they will breed. I had success earlier with similar nano tank with other shimps.
I have heard that these little guys take a long time to adapat but they do breed in aquriums, couple of mates from Portugal have bred them, but only have they had them about 5 months.

Well done Viktor.
If I were a shrimp, it would a very difficult choice between your tank or Paulo's. Both are stunning.

Found another Sulawesi snail baby today, yay! Funny how I get very excited about these snails breeding but not the pest ones in my big tank :rolleyes: .... now if they bred as fast as those.... :eek:

How are you finding them in a dosed and co2 injected aquarium? Are they as touchy as people suggest? I see you're using ADA aquasoil do they mind the lower ph?

Garuf said:
How are you finding them in a dosed and co2 injected aquarium? Are they as touchy as people suggest? I see you're using ADA aquasoil do they mind the lower ph?

This is too early to tell anything about them, but i did not have any problem with Aqua Soil or CO2 or even Carbo.
PH is around 6.8-7 after the water stabilized. CO2 is running with the light but i am not overdosing it. At night this is off.
I also dosing 1ml Easy Carbo as the Nano is a planted aquarium really. Flow is good enough.
These beauties are very active, so i do not see any problem here.

But will be smarter later. I had others shimps earlier and they doubled tripled their community in 4-5 months. So will keep my eye on them. :D

Fred, thanks i try to do my best. But really lovely how they enjoy the moss forest in the Nano :lol:

Back