• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sulawesi Cardinal Shrimp

Garuf said:
How are you finding them in a dosed and co2 injected aquarium? Are they as touchy as people suggest? I see you're using ADA aquasoil do they mind the lower ph?

Garuf, i find this page about Cardinals:
http://planetinverts.com/Cardinal_Shrimp.html

This also says there are no problem with Aqua Soil.

"The tank consists of ADA Amazonia substrate, a temperature of 84F and a pH of 7.0. Some have stated that the low ph of 7.0 due to the ADA Amazonia is not good for this species. Right now I disagree. All of the Sulawesi Shrimp that I currently house are doing very well in this setup and so far even the babies are doing very well. The babies are constantly picking away for food which is of course a good sign."

Found two more snail babies this morning! There'll be no room for shrimp at this rate....

oatfish said:
Found two more snail babies this morning! There'll be no room for shrimp at this rate....
I will take some of those shrimp when you don't want them mate ;)

Haha, that gave me a good giggle.... I think it'll be the snails going on the sale/swop board rather than the shrimp tho!

:lol: It would be so funny if it was Sulawesi...geography never has been my strong point! Thanks for the link.

Very sad to find a dead shrimp this morning, no apparent reason, however, I was checking them this evening and found a female carrying eggs! So hopefully the dead one this morning was a male and he has done his work :oops:
ANyway, will keep you posted, it's a tense time for me, if I test the water any more the're be none left in the tank....I think I'll chill a bit now :)

I'm sure a few dead shrimp was just them going through the 'settling period' or something like that. ;) But great news on the eggs! Keep us posted on the progress.

Congrats on the eggs ;) just make sure you keep the temp constant at 27C and PH above 7 and they will be fine, in 30-40 days time you will have plenty of little ones swiming about :) Good luck

Guys, were are you getting these shrimps! ? I have been looking in the midlands for ages now and not found any, if anybody has seen these let me know, i will travel. :wideyed:

Andy

Guys, were are you getting these shrimps! ? I have been looking in the midlands for ages now and not found any, if anybody has seen these let me know, i will travel.

All Maidenheads have the ability to order them in. Most of them understandably don't! :rolleyes:

i ordered them from a German breeder:
http://www.gs-wirbellosenhandel.de/epag ... i_Garnelen

the shipping arrived in 2 days after they prepared the package. ordered 12 of them and my breeder friend also ordered a team a while ago. worked great. all shrimp arrived in great condition and they are alive since then. you should give a try.

Just come back from hols to find my final 4 dead :(
Very sad. I have no idea, but something clearly was not right for them. The tended to die off in pairs. I actually think my tank was too small and the fluctuations were too much for them despite the tank being in a suitable spot (no draughts/sun etc.) If I was to try them again, and I won't be for the near future, I'd set up a much bigger tank. I miss them though :oops:
I hope everyone else is having success!
The snails on the other hand are breeding quite fast, I must have about 12 now :)

I've been following this thread from the start, and it is really sad to hear that the shrimps didn't last.
I wish you better luck next time Heather.

Yes, it was looking promising what with a berried female etc. I kept checking the water parameters and even when I came back from hols (only away 5 days) the parameters seemed to be normal (for Sulawesi anyway!) and the temp at it's usual 28 deg C so I really have no idea. That led to my conclusion that it must have been the small tank size that meant very small fluctuations that I didn't see/detect that led to their deaths. If I was going to try them again I would set up a much bigger tank. Hopefully this info can help future Sulawesi shrimp keepers :)

Am pleased with the snails but they do seem consideralbly easier to keep!

Back